• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Update! Can’t get CO2 refills, this worked!

Greengeek

Because of the virus I can’t get my CO2 bottles refilled, I use them for planted tanks and a calcium reactor on my reef. I’ve got desperate and got a 2kg CO2 extinguisher from amazon and hoping it will fit my cheap regulator that connects to my JBL bottles. It’s almost half the price of a refill at my local fish shop so really hope it works?!

Any thoughts?

37216852-1646-4526-B2BC-5F5452BA9148.jpeg
4503D5DC-BE70-48DE-86EB-6EEA0FB6D441.png

Sorry I cant answer your question but how do you find that reg..any good??

Got two of them, one from wish and one from eBay. They have lasted longer than my expensive JBL regulator (which broke after I took it off the first bottle, leaking from the seal attaching the fitting to the regulator). So far I’m highly impressed with these, they work great, easy to put on a bottle, just had to hand tighten and no need for plumbers tape. They come off easy and the needle valve is really precise, the solenoid is quite never gets hot and works great. Plus I can replace them 8 or 9 times over for the price of a JBL!

Wow, that’s a solid review! Are they branded Mufan?? Probably all the same manufacturer in China...I’ve looked on Amazon and can’t find it....I don’t suppose you have the sellers name do you?? Let us know how it goes with the FE.
Cheers Craig

Update, FE came today and the regulator fitted perfect. I’ve got it installed on the tank and really happy! I admit I have no clue what the gauges mean, just know one goes to zero and canister is empty. Lol

Its going to save a fortune over the year now, as filling two 2kg and one 500g bottles at my local shop was extremely expensive.

232B5309-B8AA-4DCD-B605-5C921421E987.jpeg
37DC065C-ADB9-485C-9988-F8460DBD5148.jpeg
7849F0E7-D3F0-4165-A9E3-A0D896ADA3E3.jpeg

Glad it worked out.:clap:
Shouldn't you turn it around a bit? Bubble counter won't work upside down;)

Have a simple set up like that, though do use the inbuilt bubble counter set vertically.

However, in case you have not noticed it, when first switched on if you count the bubbles , lets say 10 per minute, after about 1 -2 hours you may find it has increased to around 20 -30 bpm, seems the heat generated by the solenoid slowly affects the bubble adjuster mechanism. After that warm up period it then seems to stablaize for the rest of the day.

Have a simple set up like that, though do use the inbuilt bubble counter set vertically.

However, in case you have not noticed it, when first switched on if you count the bubbles , lets say 10 per minute, after about 1 -2 hours you may find it has increased to around 20 -30 bpm, seems the heat generated by the solenoid slowly affects the bubble adjuster mechanism. After that warm up period it then seems to stablaize for the rest of the day.

I’ve not noticed that, but I keep a eye out, I’ve been using same regulator on my calcium reactor for my reef tank for about 4 months and it’s been rock steady but it’s on 24/7 so the temp won’t be a issue.

Hows the Mufan Regulator going?
I'm thinking of getting one
i have this regulator, it's bad steel quality, bad needle valve, but the co2 is stable which is great but you can't really adjust bubble by bubble, 1/8 of a turn and you switch form 1bps to 20, my other reg which is made in France is way better for about twice the price. you really should buy a good quality one

I got this regulator last year when I saw how cheap it was. It worked perfectly for me until I left it idle for two weeks while I looked for a co2 refill.
Now I find the bubble rate keeps slowing & I’ve to keep adjusting the needle valve. Maybe I’ve a leaking seal at the cylinder connection I’m not sure.

i have this regulator, it's bad steel quality, bad needle valve, but the co2 is stable which is great but you can't really adjust bubble by bubble, 1/8 of a turn and you switch form 1bps to 20, my other reg which is made in France is way better for about twice the price. you really should buy a good quality one
What is the brand of your French regulator?
I think I’ll change to it if it’s only double the price. I thought they were about 4-5 times the cost. maybe I could use the spare mufan regulator on my nano tank in my office anyway.

Regarding the lack of CO2 from the usual sources. I had that problem in Asheville, North Carolina. I just put the empty tank in my truck and kept going back until the dealer's order was delivered. I keep an extra CO2 tank, so it was just an inconvenience. Haven't had a problem in the past 2 months. At one point I bought another prefilled 5 pound CO2 tank just for insurance. So now I have 3 .

The fire extinguisher is probably fine for smaller tank, but my 150 gallon (~600 liters) needs more volume. I really don't want to start buying extinguishers! Good luck.

Back