• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Upgrade 2x 18w 4pin t5 fluorescent to 1or 2 55w

Iain mlaren

Hi. This is my first post here.

I'm have trouble trying to find information I need. I want to upgrade my 2x18w t5 compact bulbs for either 1 or 2 55w compacts. Would I be right in assuming I just need to upgrade my current ballasts and all will be good to go? Or is there anything else I will have to do?

Any help appreciated thanks
Iain

You will need correct power rated tube ballast to match the tube power. Look at Arcadia for suitable 1 or 2 tube ballasts with waterproof tube connectors.

So it's possible to just disconnect wires from original ballast and rewire into a new 55w ballast? Sounds to easy lol. Also forgot to mention. A new ballast will be electronic and the old one is magnetic with starter. Will this be a problem. Thanks for help on this.

No problem. Electronic ballast is far more efficient and will make the tubes last a lot longer. Just make sure connections are waterproof.

Hi Ian. All plugged in now (waterproof) seems to make a difference. Hopefully it's enough. I have a aquaone 620t 130litre with now 55w t5 compact. Trouble is the tank is soo deep 60cm I think. Will the light from this unit be efficient enough? Not heavy planted tank but have some grass and mosses. Cheers

Back