• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Upgrading Lighting

CeeBee

My tank is a Fluval Osaka 155. It came with 2 x 24w T5 lighting. Am I right in thinking that upgrading the bulbs to a higher wattage, isn't as simple as replacing the bulbs?

Is anyone able to tell me what else I would need to replace?

I know I might be entering a whole new world of pain when it comes to balancing everything again (lights, ferts, C02 etc), but I'm a masochist :D

Why not just add another 2 x 24w T5 light unit. You can't change the wattage on the tubes just by replacing them, higher wattage tubes are bigger in size and your ballasts are most likely design just for 24w tubes.

CeeBee said:
My tank is a Fluval Osaka 155. It came with 2 x 24w T5 lighting. Am I right in thinking that upgrading the bulbs to a higher wattage, isn't as simple as replacing the bulbs?

Is anyone able to tell me what else I would need to replace?
That's right. You can't simply buy higher power lamps to fit the existing units, unfortunately.

I think you can buy another light unit and suspension kit, so you'll have 4 x 24w in total which is about right for 155 litres and you'll be able to grow anything.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/tech ... ghts/81529

I know I might be entering a whole new world of pain when it comes to balancing everything again (lights, ferts, C02 etc), but I'm a masochist :
No pain, no gain! :D

edit - LD beat me to it...

:D Excellent! Thanks for that chaps. Saved the link until I can build my case for spending even more on the tank. I managed to get a Eheim Liquidoser through the other day, so probably best to let his blood pressure settle for a week or two.

New lights ordered. Thought I'd get in there whilst he's still on a high after our visit to TGM and George's demo 8)

CeeBee said:
New lights ordered. Thought I'd get in there whilst he's still on a high after our visit to TGM and George's demo 8)

Why don't you push for his and hers tank. :D Then you can have one Iwagumi and one jungle. :lol:

I think you're on to something :D

I might have to take him up to TGM again soon - I think a few visits will be sufficient to get him hooked :lol:

I've just hung the lights and given them a try and I'm delighted with them (I get the feeling that I will come to rue those words.....)

The new lights have made a huge difference to the back of the tank, which has always been really gloomy. The swords love it there, but the wisteria has never done well. I'm hoping that by having a more even spread of light, it will open up new plant options for me.

As usual - I've also got loads of questions (I'll get the hang of this eventually);

I now have 4 x 24w T5HO bulbs. I can't control each bulb - they operate in pairs.

Can anyone advise me on what a reasonable lighting schedule would be? I can then set timers accordingly.

Also - I assume I should expect to have to increase C02 and ferts? Would it be best to be pro-active and just increase levels or re-active and wait to see signs of trouble before acting?

I've got another question about the clips that suspend the beam that came with the tank, but I can't describe what I mean - so I'll try and take a photo later. I'm trying to source the clips from somewhere, but not knowing what they might be called is making it a fruitless search!

Thanks,

Caroline

Hi ceebee,is was nice to meet you and lee on Sunday if you can both make it to dans barby on the 20june i'm sure we can conver him,
As for lighting why not try 2 tubes on for eight hrs with the other 2 coming on for a mid burst just for 4 hrs then back to 2 tubes ,so it would be 2pm till 10pm all four tubes on 3pm till 5pm
Hope makes sense
Regards john

It was really lovely to meet you too, John - thank you so much for making us feel so welcome. Unfortunately, my brain was somewhat fuddled from the night before, so I was probably a bit of a space cadet. Thank goodness the tea was flowing freely :D

Thank you for the info too - I was hoping that you might see my post, because I remember you telling me about your lighting schedule when we spoke.

I didn't know Dan was having a BBQ, but even so, he might not appreciate us pair turning up on his doorstep :lol:

Edited to say - just had a look at the BBQ post and seeing as it's an open invite, and if Dan has no objections, then we're probably up for it!

Back