• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Upgrading tank and moving stock and scape

Monkfish

I've not had my 48litre tank setup for long, but have just been given a 120litre that I would like to replace it with.

My question is what is the best way to transfer it all over if there is a best way of course?

I was thinking i could plan my new scape in advance, then when ready put fish, snails and in a temp home with pump and heater and then take out the plants, stone and substrate (plus the extra sub i will need) in new tank and get that scaped and then put fish etc straight in when flooded?

If you are reusing the filter and substrate (as long as you aren't topping up with something that will leach a lot of ammonia) then it's fine to put fish in straight away.

Setting them up a temp home with the heater/filter is a good idea as then you don't have the time pressure to reset up super quick. You could always stick them in a bucket, empty the existing tank & move it out the way and use that as a holding tank.

I’ll be reusing the filter media but not the filter.

With regards the substrate I’ll be topping that up with OF Aqua Gro which is the same as what I have in the smaller tank. Is that what you were referring to with the ammonia leaching?

The media is the important bit so as long as you use that in the new filter you're good. If it doesn't work/fit the other option is to temporarily use both.

I'm not familiar with that substrate, but yes, some substrates will leach ammonia for a few days/weeks when they are new - which is fine for fishless cycling but not something you want with fish in. If you google/ask in the substrate section - someone will know whether it's an issue for that particular substrate or not.

Thanks. I’ll look into that. I couldn’t find any info that said it did when I was looking into what substrate to use originally, but I’ll do some more searching.

Thanks again.

You could always stick some in a jug of water and test it if you can't find an answer :)

Back