• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Upgrading to T5's

chrisfraser05

I just bought a used Aqua one which has 2 30w t8's :( its a 22inch high 300lt tank.

Now I think I could just leave the T8's in place and add 2 39w T5's using a controller, would this be enough?

this would bring my total to 138w

I want to grow some forground stuff like HC and have already sourced all the bits for my FE CO2 so the cost isn't an issue so much.

One thing I need to take into account is that it is a bow front so I am pretty much restricted to using the hood that comes with it and fitting lights inside there.

Cool. I have a regulator here from aqua essentials and will be getting an FE delivered before setting up.

I think then I will start with the twin 30's, switch to twin 39's then eventually run all 4 for a period at the middle of the day.

chrisfraser05 said:
Cool. I have a regulator here from aqua essentials and will be getting an FE delivered before setting up.

I think then I will start with the twin 30's, switch to twin 39's then eventually run all 4 for a period at the middle of the day.

Hi Chris

Great idea but - having that quantity of lighting will probably cause algae issue - I hope you have great water circulation, lots of fertz and plenty of Co2 to combat the algae. Trust me - stick with your T8 your plants will grow but not as quick as they would with T5 - have a read of this thread before you take the plunge.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12770

Regards
paul.

Thank you for the advice guys :)

I'm going to just replace the bulbs to begin with and see how I get on with just the T8's

I may eventually replace these with T5's but will stay wary of over lighting it :)

Back