• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

urbex / derelict stuff

oldwhitewood

So armed with my new lowepro trekker (good advice guys) and manfrotto tripod I've been trying to find interesting things to shoot. I've been looking at urbex stuff, where people will basically sneak into abandoned hospitals, derelict buildings, old officeblocks etc and take pictures. It looks fascinating and has always been something I wanted to do, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Do any of you guys have experience of this kind of thing?

This is the sort of stuff I did in college. Didn't know there was a word for it :p
Basically, you just enter and shoot...or break, enter and shoot. No other way I knew of. Older the better.

Nothing better than peeling lead based paint to add atmosphere to a shot.

Back to my college days and I'm thinking contrasty black & white slightly overexposed. Bleached out whites and stark black. Close in for texture shots. Lots of converging parallels shooting upward to emphasize height. :?

I think I may be a closet Goth :eek: , or maybe I was just a miserable sod (and still am). :lol:

oldwhitewood said:
I am all over the 28dayslater site. The worry for me is actually getting in these places, what happens if security sees you or you get reported what do you say?
You get out of there before they catch you lol :p

sneaking in and out sounds like a lot of fun! I would imagine most derelict sites have remote survellaince so as long as you are in and out quick you'll be gone before they catch up with you. I doubt they would 'track you down' afterwards as long as you don't do any damage :)

LOL :D Me and my mate are going to have a go at it this weekend. I scoped out some potential places last Saturday, a few abandoned old mills near where I work, but I didn't go in on my own because of a padlocked iron gate. My bottle went I guess. The thought of us doing it though, two 30-somethings climbing over walls and sneaking into buildings, ripping our jeans, twisting ankles and doing backs in :D

oldwhitewood said:
LOL :D Me and my mate are going to have a go at it this weekend. I scoped out some potential places last Saturday, a few abandoned old mills near where I work, but I didn't go in on my own because of a padlocked iron gate. My bottle went I guess. The thought of us doing it though, two 30-somethings climbing over walls and sneaking into buildings, ripping our jeans, twisting ankles and doing backs in :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chances are you'll be older or faster than security anyway! :lol:

oldwhitewood said:
I doubt that in the faster department! ;)

I reckon you'd be surprised how fast you can be with the 'added motivation' to get away quick ;)

In my experience, its not the security you got to worry about in some of these places.

Its the homeless and druggies who might be hanging out in these places. Really seem to take offense to people with cameras... like a celebrity :lol:

Back