• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

URGENT

Richard40

Hi all I’m in need of some desperate advice my glass inlet pipe has broken at the top where the bend is when I was cleaning it with a wire brush. I now can’t get my tubing up onto the broken part whilst I order another one.

Delivery on another pipe isn’t till next Wednesday which would mean no filter during that time for the fish. I’ve an Oase 600 thermo and I’ve no idea what to do?

I don't own any Oase products, however other filter manufacturers often include a basic plastic inlet and outlet with the filter. Is it possible you've got one sat in the box the filter came in... if you used glass Lily pipes when you set it up?

Do you have any more flexible hose that you can put directly into the tank without the inlet pipe? If so you’ll need to find a way of keeping it in place and put some kind of strainer over the end. Your could use a piece of foam or similar.

Do you have any tubing you could push over the broken pipes that will hold them together? it will be tricky and dangerous at the same time OFC but might work for short time

Or bigger hose and use some aquarium sealant! prefer this idea myself ;)

A97E8338-CA3C-465C-B99D-6F092AFCA7D4.jpeg
I managed to get my hose off my gravel cleaner off and heated up the end to get it over the broken part. It seems to be working for the moment. I was cleaning it with a wire brush and it just snapped. How you get to clean the bends of the glass is beyond me without this happening! I’ll get one ordered now. Amazon probably best bet as quickest?
4DD3B362-4BD9-4B09-B124-3E0887DF621C.jpeg

I was cleaning my two glass inlet and outlet pipes before restarting my recent 10 gallon and this breaking of glass fear was at the back of my mind.

I’m glad you have the situation under control, sure hate a tank suspended mid maintenance.

A reminder for us all to treat all things fragile and brittle with upmost care, our lil hearts and souls included :)

Did you bleach it first?

Just a lil tip soak them in a cold.water bleach solution whilst doing all other tank maintenance then just give them a wash thoroughly and should be ok I do it weekly when doing water change no build up of grime then and no need to use a bottle brush I learnt from breaking many

Just a lil tip soak them in a cold.water bleach solution whilst doing all other tank maintenance then just give them a wash thoroughly and should be ok I do it weekly when doing water change no build up of grime then and no need to use a bottle brush I learnt from breaking many

Great tip, won’t be using the wire bottle brush again. Am I best getting one off Amazon due to delivery times?

Might aswell for now I have found though the more you pay for them.the thicker the glass and hence less likely to break

I do like the look of the glass inlet and outlet pipes but from past experience with transparent plastic ones I know how quickly they can get dirty. As a result I decided to go for stainless steel for my tank. Cleaning frequency is much reduced (because you can’t see the dirt!) and they’re virtually impossible to break when they do need cleaning.

:lol:
Hi mate @aquascape1987 has a set of lilly pipes for sale drop him a PM 20 delivered the size you need there 16/22ml
Hi, yes I have a set for sale for £20... and funnily enough I’m heading to @Richard40 side of the Pennines in the morning to Warrington to pick up some cheap expired fire extinguishers I’ve bought :lol:. I’d be happy to deviate off course and drop off in Manchester if you want mate?

I’ve been in a similar situation before myself. Last year had my tank drained and £200 worth of plants on my worktop one late Saturday eve, when my Co2 reactor broke in half. My fish and shrimps were on the kitchen counter massively overcrowded in my 8litre acrylic hospital tank! With no spare pipes to plumb the filter up, and after much swearing, storming round and lamenting my situation, whilst some desperate emailing and attempting to contact shops selling the co2 art diffusers, I got a text back from the owner of a shop 50 miles away from me willing to sell me one that night... It felt like I’d had a text back from God or something :lol:

Needless to say I jumped in the car, my partners head shaking as I reversed down the drive. Did the two hour round trip, arrived back home and finally finished planting and flooded the tank at 8am the following morning. :clap:

So if you need these, I’m happy to help, with the added bonus of shifting them from my kitchen.:).

Will bring them in the car with me tomorrow morning in case you see this and get in touch.

Spring brushes and a spare set of glass pipes. Learned This when it happened to me I have a bunch of old plastic inlets and outlets too. Always have a back up plan. A spare filter is always good so that you could transfer all the media too.

Spring washers all the way. I even paid £25 for the ADA one, but can honestly say it’s great as it gets right to the bottom of the glass, and is so so gentle to the glass

Ah man! I've been putting mine off as i don't want to break them in a time where i can't purchase a replacement! I'll try find some thin bleech!

Back