• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using Aerators with filters

BarryH

I recently installed one of the Aquael Mini Pat to double filter unit conversions to a shrimp only tank.

I've watched different videos where some users add the aeration tube to the Mini Pat and other internal filters to create bubbles and help agitate the water surface a bit more. I just wondered if any one had views or good and bad points about using an aeration tube? The only "bad" point I can hear at the minute is the added noise but it's not an unpleasant noise, sounds a bit like being stood in a LFS.

When the aeration tube is in place, I can see what looks like millions of tiny bubbles in the water. I don't think it's muck floating about, too small. Pretty sure they're bubbles.

Last edited:
Hi.
I also have a Pat Mini although yet to set up.
App a very good little filter.

I thought that the down side of using the Venturi was to do with it making CO2 less affective? Maybe im wrong?

Hope the filter works out well!

Simon

I'm really impressed with the filter so far Si. I followed the conversion shown on YouTube where the original Mini Pat foam is replaced by a double foam filter unit. The original Mini Pat foam is a bit to coarse for baby shrimp.

Your right it is. I am going to have a look at that when i get myself together and set up! Considering getting a decent foam block and cutting what I want from it.
I have seen a really amazing journal on here and I was so happy to see that he was also using the pat mini and with hardly any sponge!

🆒

Hi all,
I thought that the down side of using the Venturi was to do with it making CO2 less affective? Maybe im wrong?
Depends whether you inject CO2. If you do? Having a larger gas exchange surface does means that CO2 is lost more quickly to the atmosphere.

If you are low tech, then a larger gas exchange surface is likely to lead to higher CO2 levels, purely because the levels of CO2 in the water are likely to be depleted by photosynthesis and the gradient will then be from air to water, rather than vice versa.

Have a look at <"Maxing CO2 in low techs...">

cheers Darrel

Back