• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using excel normally

Themuleous

Just wondering if using excel as per the instructions has any effect at keeping algae away? Or is it only when adding at 3x the does?

Also, as you have to add it daily does this mean it breaks down quite quickly? I want to make up a stock solution so that each time I do a water change the tank gets a dose automatically, rather than having to measure it out every time. It also makes getting the dilution rate easier with a barrel of water then into a very small tank! But if it breaks down/becomes unusable within a day that'll not work I guess.

Thanks people :)

Sam

I don't know about it breaking down, but my small (2') tank had a fair bit of hair algae attached to some bog wood which I couldn't get rid of completely. I noticed that after using Excel it never came back. I don't know if it has this effect on different algae though.

Sam dosing it at normal levels will keep algae away but usually just the types of algae that proper levels of CO2 will usually help you avoid anyway, hair, brush, beard etc.

Stored as bought it lasts indefinitely AFAIK, I don't think the bottles have a best before date on them, diluteing it and storing it that way would not be a good idea IMHO and not something I personally would try.

Excel contains 'polycycloglutarcetal' its apparently from the same family as formaldahyde etc. In small doses it is algaecidal. I use it on problem spots of algae and before I go on holiday.

Back