• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

using large rocks in nanos

samc

hi all
this is something i have been thinking about lately. it may sound strange but i hope you understand.

why do we use large rocks in nanos in comparison to the size of the tank? they look really good but have never seen anyone use the same thing scaled up. stuworrall has a great example of his latest nano. its awsome. but if anyone did the same thing in a 60cm cube would they think your crazy? another example is the ada gallery nanos. they have 2 or 3 rocks which fill the tank. and i love them :crazy:

here you see the ada nanos
adagalleryMiniM.JPG

i have never seen this type of scape scaled up such as in a 60cm. why do we only use stones that go half the height of the aquarium in bigger tanks where as in a the photo the first one goes to the water surface.

can anyone understand what i am saying???

trying to find a rock big enough would become a problem, Mark gave it a valiant effort in "prairy lands", they were some of the biggest rocks i have seen used.

Also, larger tanks are longer, rather than nano's which are typically square, so the ratio scaled up wouldnt work aswell either.

Weight becomes an issue too, lifting and placing safley in the tank would be a worry. Also, you buy a big tank because it has more water, i wouldnt want to be displacing that much water as you limit other options such as fish stocking, with nano's its a nano, you are probably going to keep shrimp or some fish that only grow to a few mm so it isnt as much of an issue.

good thread sam, and a question i've thought of for some time.

it's true amano uses over sized stones in smaller aquariums, but i honestly dont know why. in his early works he never did it.

he also believes iwagumi truly belongs in a 60cm tank.

his nano's @ NAG hold some rather large stones indeed.

aaronnorth said:
they were some of the biggest rocks i have seen used.

they were big for the size of tank, but to do it right i could of gone much bigger

trialrunimages-1.jpg

this was such a mare of a tank :twisted:

thanks for the reply guys :thumbup:

i think after my next scape i am going to make it my mission so try this :D there is a place near me that does large rocks fairly cheap they are for garden and water feature use but i will deffinetly try. this is the place

http://simplynatural.eu/

i have not visited them yet but there shop is about 20 miles away

i think it may have something to do with our eyes and the way we see scale. Big rock in tiny tank seems to go but in a big tank it would just look too.. filled? I dont think its an easy thing to explain, its just something thats inbuilt

of course I may just be talking a load of tosh :D

Looking forward to your tank Sam, has your new opti turned up yet?

I've just found this thread on the net, by accident.
I'll tell you the secret of it: the whole construction was not made-up using just one big rock- I used many large rocks (phyllite slate). To create massif normally I use silicon also in whole construction there are many more rocks that are not visible but they play main role propping up (supporting) main rocks from falling.
One thing, its quite stressful placing rock formation inside the tank, than observing it during first days after setup if something is sliding/falling ;).

regards,
Radek Baszak
www.aquatic-plants-studio.com

Thanks Sam,
I found some old photo, just a couple days after setup stage.
http://img22.imageshack.us/i/rockformation.jpg/
You can easily notice silicone on the right 'wing'. I usually start from gluing, let's say 3 large, main formations of arrangement I imagined, I do this always outside the tank (If it's needed I simulate the slope of gravel using table).Than I transport them into the tank.
I hope it will help a little.

reagards, Radek Baszak
http://www.aquatic-plants-studio.com

I've never liked silicolning stuff together but I can see that with this kind of scape it's pretty vital! And that it realy can add an extra dimension. Great scapes, Not sure the angel fish suit them though.

Thanks guys for warm welcome.
Frankly, I don't like silicone too but there was no other way to do that. Simply putting one slate on other is too risky in long term.
Garuf,
Angel fish, imho, due to their shape they intensify dynamism in the composition. That was my intention.

regards, Radek Baszak
www.aquatic-plants-studio.com

Back