Using Liquid carbon to spotdose.

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by Piece-of-fish, 28 Sep 2009.

1. Piece-of-fish

Piece-of-fish Member

Hello,
    Need a little advice on using AE or similar liquid carbon to spotdose with a paintbrush. The question would be for how long should i leave carbon on the leaves before flashing the plant with water. The problem was when i tried to do it for the first time i've burned half of my pretty anubias :oops:
    Regards.

2. Mortis

Mortis Member

Ive never really spot dosed butfrom what I heard, you dont need to leave it for more than a couple of minutes. The idea is to do repeated spot dosings until the algae disappears. Some people also do it in their water filled tanks with a syringe.

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

do it under water. turn the filter and any pumps off too so it stays around the affected areas for longer.

4. Piece-of-fish

Piece-of-fish Member

Hmm. Appreciate your advice a lot. However would like to hear an advice from who actually did that literally, i mean spotdosed with a paintbrush, just curious :shh:

5. JamesM

JamesM Member

I've spot dosed with a brush underwater many times. Measure the amount of liquid carbon beforehand so you know not to overdose too much, but bare in mind you will be doing a water change after anyway. Turn filters and pumps off, and apply liquid carbon by brush, syringe, or a combination of the two. Leave for a few minutes, then re-apply and pause while you put the kettle on for a cuppa. Do a large water change to remove any algae and algae spores, dose NPK and a fresh amount of liquid carbon (5ml per 50 litres with 1ml per 50litres each day after is the norm, but I use 10ml for 70litres on w/c day with 4ml each day after).

6. Piece-of-fish

Piece-of-fish Member

Ok, i see now, many thanks to all of you :clap: