• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using main ceiling light over open-topped tank?

BigTom

Hi all,

I'm finally starting to get my new project set up (90lx30hx90d, open-top), and ended up changing where I had it set up, so that it's now directly underneath the main ceiling light for the room.

Now this light rarely gets used as I have lamps and stuff, and I was wondering if it might be possible to use it to light the tank (obviously would need to lower it a bit). It's a shallow, low tech tank with lots of emergent plants. I have a cheap 70w MH security light that I was going to jerry-rig above the tank and somehow beautify, but though just using the ceiling light fittings might be easier, especially as its a rented house and I don't want to be messing about with ceiling fittings for the MH. I don't mind buying inexpensive new fittings for it but obviously nothing heavy as it's just hanging from a standard lighting wire and I've no idea how well secured that is.

Any cunning thoughts?!

Not a stupid idea at all. Infact I think its a great one!

Only thought is that its going to be more difiuilt to do a timer on it.....

Oh wait, I think you can buy timer light switches these days too. 2 secs ;)

Back