• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

using oasis flower foam in tank?

fourmations

hi all

i was thinking how good Oasis foam blocks would be in the aquarium
(the green blocks that flower arrangers use that hold lots of water)

you can shape them any way you want and plant straight in them

anyone ever tried it,

i am trying to find out if its tank safe but no luck yet

regards

Aren't they quite buoyant? There are two types though. I'm not sure they will be fish safe as they are quite brittle and bits can break off.

fourmations said:
thanks for the feedback Ed

my thinking is related to this scape which i love

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2009.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=1&id=104

the foam block would be great to use behind the roots
as you could plant the "nooks and crannies" then

im not sure how he has filled in behind the root, if at all, maybe its just tied moss as usual

rgds

It could either be a large rock(s) with the root sitting on top. Plants then just tied on and some pushed into the gaps and it just spreads and overs the whole lot.
Or he has sloped the substrate. If you find you cant get it that tall, then get some plastic and bury it in the substrate for support.

I reckon they've just piled aquasoil up behind the root and then tied the moss to the wood too.

If you wanted to prevent it slipping you could just fill some dark tights with your substrate and pile thos up to create the slopes. Once planted they will soon be covered.

Ed Seeley said:
If you wanted to prevent it slipping you could just fill some dark tights with your substrate and pile thos up to create the slopes.

I have heard of the packing substrate in tights idea before. Someone (on here I think) mentioned using leftover carbon as it provides an area for bacteria to live on, and costs nothing if you keep the spent stuff from out of your filter. Nice idea I thought. :thumbup: (edit - Obviously this would be best as a base layer with substrate on top, I am not suggesting planting in carbon!).

hi ed and matt

thanks again

i may use small bits of perspex (theres lots of scrap in my work)
in fishnet tights as a bulker, its inert and free!
bioballs could be another option to bulk up the area

my thinking being that the flow would get through it well
and keep it clean and avoid possible anaerobic areas
and also it would be way lighter in weight that gravel (I cant afford aquasoil)
my kitchen counter is sinking with the weight of the tank on it!

rgds

a1Matt said:
Ed Seeley said:
If you wanted to prevent it slipping you could just fill some dark tights with your substrate and pile thos up to create the slopes.

I have heard of the packing substrate in tights idea before. Someone (on here I think) mentioned using leftover carbon as it provides an area for bacteria to live on, and costs nothing if you keep the spent stuff from out of your filter. Nice idea I thought. :thumbup: (edit - Obviously this would be best as a base layer with substrate on top, I am not suggesting planting in carbon!).

Not only that it adsorbs nutrients to make them avialable for plant roots too :thumbup:

cheers all

you've got me thinking again...

would i need any substrate at all in those area?
would plants root into bunched up fishnet tights?
it would help with the weight issue im having

the tank is ei dosed so there might be enough goodies in the water column,
im sure a bit of mulm would build up in there as well

rgds

Hi 4, I hear what you are saying about the weight of the tank, you are actually making me a little nervous thinking about it! :oops: I think that water is going to be adding more weight than anything else to your tank. If you add something light, like say the bioballs, then the areas around it are just going to get saturated with water and back comes the weight. I would look to strengthen the cupboard it is standing on instead of trying to lessen the weight of the tank. A well placed brace or two might do it?

If the weight really is borderline then you could 1/3 fill the tank and make it into a riparium :lol: :lol:

I'm not sold on bunched up fishnets. I'd stick to something in a traditional substrate form+ size, as it is tried and trusted that the plants roots can push through it.

Aaron - I was under the impression that whatever it has absorbed is bound to it, and once 'full' it does not release, and has a low CEC rating. But will still good for bacterial colonisation as it has a large surface area. I will be happy to be wrong though :D

hi matt

the situation is not chronic and i'm looking into a support for it
(my counter has sunk about 3-4mm over a year, but is still moving)

thanks for the advice all, i might get some of that jbl manado
the colour aint great IMO but if its in stockings!
(it seriously pricey to do the ada thing, i live in ireland and there is no agent)
postage cost kills the idea for me unfortunately

rgds

a1Matt said:
Hi 4, I hear what you are saying about the weight of the tank, you are actually making me a little nervous thinking about it! :oops: I think that water is going to be adding more weight than anything else to your tank. If you add something light, like say the bioballs, then the areas around it are just going to get saturated with water and back comes the weight. I would look to strengthen the cupboard it is standing on instead of trying to lessen the weight of the tank. A well placed brace or two might do it?

If the weight really is borderline then you could 1/3 fill the tank and make it into a riparium :lol: :lol:

I'm not sold on bunched up fishnets. I'd stick to something in a traditional substrate form+ size, as it is tried and trusted that the plants roots can push through it.

Aaron - I was under the impression that whatever it has absorbed is bound to it, and once 'full' it does not release, and has a low CEC rating. But will still good for bacterial colonisation as it has a large surface area. I will be happy to be wrong though :D

Carbon adsorbs toxins (physical attrcation) whereas absorbtion is when a molecule would enterthe carbon (like a sponge)

Carbon is in equilibrium with the aquarium water, but only a tiny amount is released.
if 1% is in equilibrium, and you do a 50% water change there is only 0.5% of the toxins left in the water so the carbon releases some.
Van der waals' forces is the attraction between the carbon & adsorbent which is weak. dont quote me on this part as it is only a suggestion => the plants can use active transport to 'pull' the nutrients off the carbon, but I am not sure how how strong the bonds would be compared to the force a plant can supply for active transport.
Quite a few people use this as a DIY substrate though,
Thanks, Aaron

cheers Aaron, that makes me think a bit :thumbup: I have been reading a bit about carbon this week, a lot of marine hobbyists advocate it's use to reduce dissolved organics.

Back