• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using super glue with Fish in the tank

BarryH

While trimming a very large bush of Weeping Moss I was a bit to aggressive and must have loosened it from the rock it's glued to. Is it safe to try and spot glue the moss back to the rock with the fish and shrimp still in the tank?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

While trimming a very large bush of Weeping Moss I was a bit to aggressive and must have loosened it from the rock it's glued to. Is it safe to try and spot glue the moss back to the rock with the fish and shrimp still in the tank?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, but probably easiest to remove the moss from the tank, apply a very small amount of glue to a small amount of moss and stick to rock, then repeat. I have been learning that sticking the tube of the glue in the tank ends up in a mess and a tube of glue that doesn't work next time.

Moisture causes cyanoacrylate to set, so as Luketendo mentioned, you'll likely just end up with blobs of cured glue as soon as it sees the water. Try and dry off the surfaces as much as possible before applying adhesive, to get a good bond.

Moisture causes cyanoacrylate to set, so as Luketendo mentioned, you'll likely just end up with blobs of cured glue as soon as it sees the water. Try and dry off the surfaces as much as possible before applying adhesive, to get a good bond.

If you are quick and apply pressure it is possible to break through the cure and it will stick. It would be better to take the wood out the tank first or if you have issues with it not sticking you can apply glue underwater but it can get messy.

This was the Weeping Moss bush taken some time ago. If you can imagine that with an extra two months of growth, it was taking up half of the tank. It was glued to the rock you can just about see in the bottom centre of the bush.

Aquarium.jpg

Back