• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using the EI dosing method for my tank please help confirm

LightHouse G

Seedling
Tank Size: 125 gallons (100 gallons after substrate and rocks ect.)
Lighting: (4) 96 watt PC ( only using two 10k/6500k ) the other two are blue/autinic are not on and don't know if it is a good idea to use? *** I will post this Q in the specific lighting page*** but for now only 192w total
Co2 injection with Double drop checker...solution precalibrated for 30ppm

Tap water peramiters for 50 gallons: PH 6.4-6.5 after 24 hrs, KH 1 GH 4, Po4 1.0, No3 Less than 5ppm

Here is my planned dosing method:

Sunday: 50gl. change + kno3 - 1tsp (5ml) + kh2po4 - 1/4tsp (1.25ml) + mgso4 - 2 1/2tsp (7.5ml)
Monday: csm+b - 1/2tsp (2.5ml)
Tuesday: kno3 - 1tsp (5ml) + kh2po4 - 1/4tsp (1.25ml) + mgso4 - 2 1/2tsp (7.5ml)
Wednesday: 1/2tsp (2.5ml)
Thursday: kno3 - 1tsp (5ml) + kh2po4 - 1/4tsp (1.25ml) + mgso4 - 2 1/2tsp (7.5ml)

Friday & Saturday: Rest

I hope this looks good thanks, G

Hi,
I'd forget about how much water is in the tank. the EI numbers already takes that into account. So your numbers for KNO3 and KH2PO4 are only slightly low, but be advised that unless you have massive flow in that tank (like 1200GPH) you might need to bump up the values somewhat, especially with those mega-lighting bolt energy levels. These are good starting points, although I'd probably cut the lighting by about half to begin with. Throw your test kits away because those PO4/NO3 numbers are virtually meaningless. I hope you have Mondo-CO2 if you are planning on competing with Las Vegas for the Lighting Achievement Award, wow. :wideyed:

Cheers,

thanks ceg, I am only using half of my lighting right now and was planning to increse later once my tank matured some more. I have 900 gph and running light cycle @ 8hrs a day. I am using an 5lb bottle with a Aqua clear 500 reactor which to my surprise is doing a really good job at difussing the Co2 howerver it needs to be cleaned weekly :( from bio waste which also is cleaned weekly. I want a beetle 50 so that I wont need to clean as often but I am not sure it will do as good of a job?

I will bump the Po4/Kno3 up by a 1/2tsp and again by 1tsp accross the board when I add more light if that sounds good?

I'd think about adding the beetle on the other side of the tank, not replacing your reactor. Big tanks have a real problem with diffusion across their large distances and volumes. Again, high lighting causes such a high demand for CO2 consumption that you are really skating on the razors edge. Hair, BBA, Staghorn and even sometimes GSA can take over very quickly as a direct result of poor CO2 distribution. The other types of algae or discoloration will show up telling you when there is a PO4/NO3 or trace distribution problem.

Cheers,

Back