• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using two filters...

Ryan Young

Hi all,
I have a 200L planted tank and am currently using a fluval 306 which I believe is not powerful enough.
I managed to grab a bargain on a new eheim ecco pro 2036 and would like to use this alongside the fluval 306 by connecting the 306's outlet to the eheims inlet.
As this is a new filter will the water parameters be affected as the 200L is established with fish and I dont want to risk losing any?
Also, will this mean I need to increase water changes?
Cheers, Ryan

Don't connect filters in series because it can strain the impellers and a blockage will affect both filters. Use separately and don't worry about the fish or your cycle. And no need to do more water changes just because of it.

You certainly don't want to run two filters in parallel (sharing same outlet and inlet pipe) either. There was someone here who did this and wiped his tank out.

What happened was, he had two filters sharing the same outlet pipe, but individual inlets. One filter was stronger than the other and eventually the stronger filter started forcing water backwards through the weaker filter, emptying out its dirty contents into the tank, killing everything in the tank.

Each filter must have its own inlet and outlet.

Ah I see, yeah makes sense.
My plan was going to be to use one filter as an inlet, loop the filters outlet to the second filters inlet and then have one outlet back into the tank. But anyway I think I would rather play it safe and stick with them individually.

Just a quick query I have 2 306s and a lightly planted 240Ltr tank that is not heavily stocked with livestock, my question is does a tank this size have to have two filters? and thanks for the info regarding running two filters in parallel, I very nearly made that mistake.

The only reason I chose two is because my 306 has very poor flow rate & although my tank is not stocked very much it is quite heavily planted.
Im not sure if others would agree but I would say do not decrease the amount of flow and filtration, as more is better in opposition to less and if your'e tank looks healthy and is doing good then change could disrupt that.
:)

Thanks for the info, as I'm quite new to this I'm not sure if my 306 has great flow. it has a spray bar and the output is weak so I,m guessing so. I am planning on planting heavily when I can but am unsure whether I will need to increase filtration t that point?

Well to be honest, I was using one 306 for 2 years on my 200l, the only reason I bought another filter is to improve flow, it was still fine for a heavy planted tank. I recon you should be fine with those two

Back