• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Utopia - 60l - 2014.06.05 - Kids trimming Montecarlo :-)

wow, your children are, realy nice trymers, aquascapers in training !! Here in México children's day is April 30.
Sometimes I fell sad for those poor boys, but unfortunately there're a lot of obstacles that their own countries put to help them. :( .

Time for some updates.
It's been fun to watch this one grow... no problems at all and lots of trimmings on the moss to make it strong and healthy.

20140706-day198-1.jpg

Some details from the wood and moss

20140706-day198-2.jpg

20140706-day198-3.jpg

... with some of the Simulans ...

20140706-day198-4.jpg

A beautiful Simulans...

20140706-day198-5.jpg

A Yunnalis sp. showing his beautiful orange color...

20140706-day198-6.jpg

Have you removed ludwigia super red from background, or has it just heavily trimmed?

It was heavily trimmed and it's growing pretty slow. I also light up the two lamps at the front and not at the back, so...
But i keep getting opinions of people saying it's better like this :)

An experience of the last week: increase lighting.

Let me share with you guys some stuff.
During the last week (since Sunday, July 20, water changing day) I left all the lights on.
4x24w are lit from 17.00 to 00.00. 96w / 60l - truly about ~ 40l.
So 2w per liter.

I wanted was to see if fertilization regimen (which practically did not changed!) supported the increased metabolism created by this amount of light.

First some PAR values:

4x24w with 46 cm of substrate on the back and 51 cm at the front.
The bulbs are fairly in the middle of the aquarium.

88 - 108-100 (behind - left / middle / right)

108 - 118-108 (front - left / middle / right)

Barbaric :)

The experience is going very well. Practically only positive things:
  1. First of all pearling in the aquarium is amazing. Looks like rain upwards :)
  2. I suspected that on Tuesday or Wednesday glasses began to turn green. Result: yesterday when I made the water change there was not a single bit of GSA in glasses. Excellent result.
  3. The "greasy" layer on top of the aquarium, which from Tuesday or Wednesday becomes more visible (I reset the water evaporated and the "greasy" layer semi-disappears again until the Thursday or Friday), this time did not exist. That's right, increase metabolism and greasy film disappeared. Why? I have two hypotheses: 1) the first more "biological" - the increase in metabolism caused an increased production of oxygen and this may have greatly benefited the colony of bacteria with more oxygen and a ECOO Pro 300 full of ADA BioRio were able to combat the film; 2) a more "mechanical" outcome - the increased pearling may had a result on top of the water with the amount of bubbles that went to the top of the aquarium making the upper film to disappear.
  4. Moss is with many more light green "tips" due to the faster growth.
  5. The Ludwigia sp. that is behind the rocks and had almost disappeared after 6 months of fortnightly trimming, is again with a great red color.
  6. The only negative consequences that i associate with increased light, but I'll have to see it better this week, are: 1) montecarlo took on the first day the greatest trimming I ever made to it. Yesterday was with a bit of filamentous. This tank did not have a single algae until now, so I will verify if this is not a consequence of two events simultaneously: increased light + major trimming in montecarlo; 2) behind the rocks on the right, I notice the stones darker.
  7. The tests done to PO4, NO3 and Fe values remained the same despite the increase in metabolism. Just duplicated the micros this week. Why dit it consumed the same, apparently? I suppose that the major trimming of Montecarlo made less demand for nutrients.
Have a nice week.

Back