UV sterilizer.

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by Murphy-18, 10 Apr 2009.

1. Murphy-18

Murphy-18 Member

Hi, i was wondering if someon could tell me, would a vectron uv25 be too strong for my 100g, as they are rated for 125g tanks. And the next size down is rated for 50g tanks so woudd it cause any harm to my water quality or fish?

Or is there any other UV sterilizer that anyone wouold reccomend? Ive heard about that Green killing machine, or should i just stick with the vecton? Its juts that my water is not the clearest and has lots of tiny microscopic organisms floating in the water, and io am starting to get green water :(

Help appreciated.

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Nope you cant harm the tank by running a UV, even one rated for well over the size of the tank, after all, all it does it 'light' the water with UV rays and that's not going to do much to the tank, expect the required killing of bacteria, algae (Free floating) and pathogens.

I'd say run it if you want to :)

Sam

3. chris1004

chris1004 Member

Adding to the above the only thing that you really need to be concerned about is the flow rate through the UV filter. Basically the slower the better, the longer the water is under the uv lamp the more its effects can be utilised. The reason bigger lamps are required on larger tanks is to cope with the increased flow through the filtration system. So you can't have a UV filter which is to powerfull for the job just one that isn't powerfull enough. The only reason for having a lower rated lamp is to reduce running costs.

Generally Vectron UV filters are considered to be very good, as with all things they have to be maintained properly to remain effective though. The lamp needs to be replaced at the recommended intervals (once a year in most filters) and the glass tube which houses the UV lamp has to be cleaned regularly (i do mine every third month).

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

5. Murphy-18

Murphy-18 Member

Thanks for the help folks, but ive just ordered a ''Green Kiling Machine'' I read lots of reviews on them, but they dont run in line with you're filter, you just stidck in in the tank and plug it in. Cost me £60 delivered brandnew.

6. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I have an internal uv, very useful, and it doesn't affect filter flow :)

Sam