• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UV?

andyh

Is anybody using a UV sterilizers in their setups. They are obviouly used widely in ponds for killing algae. Does anybody run them on there tanks?

If so how? Inline on your external?

Are they worth it? :thumbdown: :thumbup:

They can help against free floating algae like green water but clearly aren't any good against fixed algae, which most are, though how effective they are against spores Im not sure.

There are no real disadvantages to using them but they aren't essential.

Personally I'd go for an external, as the internal ones look ugly IMOH.

Sam

JamesC said:
Using one may lead to an iron deficiency due to the iron chelate breaking down.

James

Iron chelate? :? I have no idea what that is?

If you dose traces (micros) then one of the components is iron that is complexed in a chelator like Iron-EDTA. This is done as free iron is very reactive and will react with many things in the water making it unavailable for the plants. UV breaks the Iron-EDTA bond freeing the iron.

A lot depends on your setup to how much UV affects iron deficiency. Size of UV makes a difference as well as flow rate through the UV unit. If you dose lots of traces daily then you are much less likely to see any problems. Also the traces you use makes a difference as different chelators are used. Some people don't have problems whilst others do. The recommendation is really only to use a UV if you have to otherwise it's best to leave it out.

James

That's interesting James. I recently put a UV onto my 60cm tank to combat algae. I had quite an outbreak of GDA/GSA and diatoms on the glass. After about 1 1/2 weeks my glass is looking pretty clear! I'd cleaned the glass, and done some water changes, but not excessively. I think I'll ditch the UV in the next few weeks as I don't want any issues with a lack of iron :)

JamesC said:
If you dose traces (micros) then one of the components is iron that is complexed in a chelator like Iron-EDTA. This is done as free iron is very reactive and will react with many things in the water making it unavailable for the plants. UV breaks the Iron-EDTA bond freeing the iron.

A lot depends on your setup to how much UV affects iron deficiency. Size of UV makes a difference as well as flow rate through the UV unit. If you dose lots of traces daily then you are much less likely to see any problems. Also the traces you use makes a difference as different chelators are used. Some people don't have problems whilst others do. The recommendation is really only to use a UV if you have to otherwise it's best to leave it out.

James

hey James, thanks for such a detailed explanation! I understand what your saying, thanks for saving me some money! :thumbup:

Back