• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vacuum Frequency with Aquasoil

FishWorks

Hello Aquascapers,

I have a 75g planted with a Monte Carlo Carpet & Seiryu stone which I dose EI and WC 50% weekly.
Over time, Aquasoil slowly disintegrates becoming mulm.

My question is it better to light vacuum weekly followed by a 50% WC?

or is it better to moderately vacuum once you see some build up that might clog your substrate, then followed by 75% WC ?

The concern here is organic waste and how it affects fishes.
-Harry

If everything is okay (ie no algae) then I wouldn't vacuum. But I have found that in my older high tech (2 yrs) with plants who like clean water (like buces), vacuuming is essential.

I have heard that substrate shouldn't be messed with but I haven't personally found it to affect my livestock (have fish and shrimp).

Use a turkey baster to gently blast it and Syphon out debris at the same time. Do it weekly before water change (as big as water change that you can muster, don’t be afraid of going 80% for example)

Absolutely game changer method :)

Turkey blaster my AS carpet every week without the Syphon hose as having a braced tank makes it tricky and rise of getting water all over is high. So tank does get very cloudy, just let the filter clean it out then after 50-60% WC I always clean the filter media out. Cleaning the filter out allows me to get the RCS out of filer too.

Turkey blaster my AS carpet every week without the Syphon hose as having a braced tank makes it tricky and rise of getting water all over is high. So tank does get very cloudy, just let the filter clean it out then after 50-60% WC I always clean the filter media out. Cleaning the filter out allows me to get the RCS out of filer too.

Forgot to add that my AS in my tank is over 12months old so ammonia spike is unlikely IMO, dont think I would do the same on a newly planted tank

Back