Critique my hardscape Valley #1

Nice rock, I like it a lot. What type is it? Is that lots of pieces joined together or a big piece on each side?

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Kezzab

Hi, its limestone that i collect locally, mainly look for interesting bits on drystone walls when i walk the dog! Theres 3 big chunks and a couple of flakes in there.
K

Kezzab

What i have available in other tanks. Keep cost down. MC, repens, riccia, java moss, fissidens maybe, hair grass, small anubias, maybe a buce. Not sure really!

Keith GH

Kezzb

If they are Limestone rocks unless I am mistaken you are going to have a very hard water tank.

Have you checked out the suitable inhabitants and plants?

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

Kezzab

Thanks keith, same rock been used with success in 2 other scape. No live stock in this either. Not corncerned about effect o water.
K

Kezzab

I dont do anything to them. As i understand it (TM @dw1305 ) its very old limestone and does not have a huge effect on water parameters. Irrespective, i do 2x water changes a week on this tank, one abou 50% and one about 80%, so it doesnt make much odds.
K

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
If they are Limestone rocks unless I am mistaken you are going to have a very hard water tank.
its very old limestone and does not have a huge effect on water parameters.
They <"are limestone">, and they will have some effect on water hardness, but it will be relatively small, because they are old (Carboniferous age about 320,000,000 years old) and very hard.

We have <"rock of that age"> in Ireland, around Bristol, S. Wales, White Peak, Pennines and as a ring of rock around the Lake District.

Where the limestone is exposed, <"as "limestone pavement">, you get micro-solution features (from the rain) called "karren". This has allowed people to age <"Neolithic portal dolmens etc">, where the orientation of the cap rock has changed from its orientation in situ.

In Ireland, where it rains a lot, you can get peat bogs form directly on top of the limestone, because the rain is leaching away the bases more quickly than they are coming into solution. A few years ago I used to go to the Carron Turlough (in County Clare) where there is a magnificent <"limestone heath">, with transition from peat bog to bare limestone over about 30cm distance.

cheers Darrel

Kezzab

Dont worry im not wrecking farmers hard work! Theres s community woodland near me thats made from a few fields combined, in it are the old derelict walls. So, yes i jusy wall down a wall and see if i can spot any good bits.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kezzab Critique my hardscape Valley #3 Aquascaping 13