• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vallis help

Mattant1984

Hi guys,

After some help with my vallis, they have been in the tank for a couple of months but have barely grown at all and now started over the last week toelt a little.

Every other plant in the tank is growing great and looking really good.

Could anyone tell me what type they are and why they aren't growing well??

Many thanks 😊

Attachments

• 20220724_185350.jpg
    20220724_185350.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 162
That is massively weird. A year or so ago I set up a soil substrate low-energy tank for my son in his new home and planted it with loads of vallis with the promise it'd go crazy and soon take over his tank.

It was my go to plant as a kid, guarantee to grow like mad. It loves hard water (ours is hard) and couldn't give a monkey's about CO2 since it’s able to synthesise its carbon from bicarbonates. And as it grows across the surface it gains the aerial advantage and grows even stronger.

But it just stayed where it was planted and sulked. It didn’t grow, and mostly finally dissolved in to nothing. We replanted a different species and the same thing almost happened again. Some months later it finally began to grow but really slowly, a very reluctant participant. I’ve no idea why.

It’s almost like it’s forgotten how to grow in an aquarium, ‘cause it’s not used very much any more. Maybe something to do with negative morphic resonance or if you prefer quantum entanglement. Or maybe the stock of plants ain’t what it used to be, or maybe I’ve just lost my green fingers 🙃

Either way, it’d help if you posted a fts and some vital statistics Please read the guidelines for plant help!

That is massively weird. A year or so ago I set up a soil substrate low-energy tank for my son in his new home and planted it with loads of vallis with the promise it'd go crazy and soon take over his tank.

It was my go to plant as a kid, guarantee to grow like mad. It loves hard water (ours is hard) and couldn't give a monkey's about CO2 since it’s able to synthesise its carbon from bicarbonates. And as it grows across the surface it gains the aerial advantage and grows even stronger.

But it just stayed where it was planted and sulked. It didn’t grow, and mostly finally dissolved in to nothing. We replanted a different species and the same thing almost happened again. Some months later it finally began to grow but really slowly, a very reluctant participant. I’ve no idea why.

It’s almost like it’s forgotten how to grow in an aquarium. Maybe something to do with negative morphic resonance or if you prefer quantum entanglement. Or maybe the stock of plants ain’t what it used to be, or maybe I’ve just lost my green fingers 🙃

Either way, it’d help if you posted a fts and some vital statistics Please read the guidelines for plant help!
That's what I've found really weird as well, u also have hard water and everything else in the tank is flying. Can't work out why

It’s almost like it’s forgotten how to grow in an aquarium, ‘cause it’s not used very much any more. Maybe something to do with negative morphic resonance or if you prefer quantum entanglement. Or maybe the stock of plants ain’t what it used to be, or maybe I’ve just lost my green fingers 🙃

Tank is 6x2x2 low tech, I have fine gravel substrate with root tabs and weekly dosing of liquid fert.

Nitrates are about 20ppm and weekly waterchanges of 20%

Attachments

• 20220724_213015.jpg
    20220724_213015.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 84
Can’t tell you why they aren’t growing. I can’t stop mine from growing. In sand, in soil, with Co2, without Co2.

They should be loving hard water! You don’t happen to be using glut do you?? They don’t like that so much, though I believe melting is a more common response than lack of growth. 🤔

As Tim said, more detail might help, but this is not usually a fussy plant.

If you want to try some fresh stock, let me know, I’ve more than I know what to do with. I think mine are gigantica, however, so go to about 4ft long. Might be a bit much!!

Can’t tell you why they aren’t growing. I can’t stop mine from growing. In sand, in soil, with Co2, without Co2.

They should be loving hard water! You don’t happen to be using glut do you?? They don’t like that so much, though I believe melting is a more common response than lack of growth. 🤔

As Tim said, more detail might help, but this is not usually a fussy plant.

If you want to try some fresh stock, let me know, I’ve more than I know what to do with. I think mine are gigantica, however, so go to about 4ft long. Might be a bit much!!
Thanks for your response, it's really weird and as I've said above everything else is growing great.
Mine do seem to be a smaller species as they are a lot thinner than what I've kept before.

My tank is a 6x2x2 so loads of space for them to grow and I really wanted to let them go crazy along the back.

Can I ask what youean by Glut??

Can I ask what youean by Glut??
'Glut' is gluteraldehyde, sold in the trade as 'liquid carbon' of various forms - vallis is reputedly sensitive. I stopped using liquid carbon when I first put in vallis and it's done well ever since. Vallis doesn't like to be planted too deeply so you might try pulling them up a bit to see if that helps them out; you should be able to see some roots at the surface.

'Glut' is gluteraldehyde, sold in the trade as 'liquid carbon' of various forms - vallis is reputedly sensitive. I stopped using liquid carbon when I first put in vallis and it's done well ever since. Vallis doesn't like to be planted too deeply so you might try pulling them up a bit to see if that helps them out; you should be able to see some roots at the surface.
Oh right thanks, no don't use that at all

Substrate is only about 2 inch but I don't vacuum it at the back where the vallis are
I've got two notes regarding Vallisneria:
(1) They are often suffering in young tanks.
(2) They belong to the group of plants who take up CO2 through their roots.
Put together it suggests that they prefer substrate with a share of organic matter.
Perhaps not relevant in your case, though.

I've got two notes regarding Vallisneria:
(1) They are often suffering in young tanks.
(2) They belong to the group of plants who take up CO2 through their roots.
Put together it suggests that they prefer substrate with a share of organic matter.
Perhaps not relevant in your case, though.
I don't add any C02 so I'm sure there's not a lot in my tank however the tank has been running for quite some time, About 2 years although only planted for a few months

I know vallis grows in hard water really well or should do ,got a plant encyclopedia we're it's been observed in brackish water. Previously though in my soft water it did great spreading and covering the surface. When getting it again it did nothing sort of melted. Put it down to plant reactions . Previously just grown in gravel when it thrived ,most recent in tropical soil . It's still a mystery

Back