• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Valliserna Jungle

Gill

I'll Add Pix here now.
Here Goes,
Almost Finished with the planting.
Just some more Floating plants.
Have started adding Ferts now, as i like the air curtain and the extra circulation it provides.
Fish Stocking is almost Complete. Adding My Threadffin Rainbows and Pygmy Cories in Tommorrow and some more Shrimp and then thats it.

Sorry for the Reflection
Picture005-11.jpg

I really like that, it's something I tried to achieve with my tank - to have the fish (inc. angels) swimming among vallis "reed" beds. Never really looked right though, maybe the tank was too small. Your's looks great though - how big is it? What have you got in there besides vallis, hairgrass? One problem I found with mine was that the vallis grew too damn fast, I was forever pulling clumps of it out and disturbing everything. I resorted to double dosing excel to curb it, but no such luck! What vallis are you using?

i like your tank, what lighting do you run and do you use co2? What other plants are in there?

I run 2 Tubes - 1 48watt and a bog standard flourescent tube, untill i get a proper plant tube,
Don't use any Co2 - i have started to dose with tetra Pond Plant nutrition (trying it out) Every other day.
Plants are:

Vallis Spiral
Tiger Vallis
Java Moss
Peacock Moss
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Cabomba
HC
Hygrophilia
Creeping Jenny
Bacopa
Riccia (floating)
A few Leaves of Salvinia natans.
Hair grass
Several Nymphae Bulbs
2 Red Tiger Lotus Bulbs

Looks great Gill, love the apple snails.

THanks love having Snails. Have Lots of different types in here.
Apple Snails, Red Ramhorns, BlueRamshorns, Nerite, Spixi, Horned BumbleBee, Pond Snails, MTS. All keep the tank algae free. with help from the Cherries.

I really like that, it's something I tried to achieve with my tank - to have the fish (inc. angels) swimming among vallis "reed" beds. Never really looked right though, maybe the tank was too small. Your's looks great though - how big is it? What have you got in there besides vallis, hairgrass? One problem I found with mine was that the vallis grew too damn fast, I was forever pulling clumps of it out and disturbing everything. I resorted to double dosing excel to curb it, but no such luck! What vallis are you using?

Thanks, I bought in Bulk so that even if i lost some, it wouldn't Matter (plus i can trasnfer these to the Pond)
Its a 4footer (90G), I don't Mind if i get overun with Vallis, as i can dump it in the planted Daphnia tank outdoors. or in one of the barrells.
Vallis I am using above.

Update,
The HC I got from an UKAPS member has been eaten by the fish and snails (Ohwell)
The Dwarf Platties have not dropped yet and they look like they are gonna Pop.
The Flags have been spawning Every Morning when the Lights go on.
Danios Spawn Everywhere
Pygmy Cories have settled in well, only catch glimpses of them everynow and then in the hairgrass. Which Is what i wanted, A tank where the Fish blend in and you catch glimpses of them.

I have to do some replanting in the morning, as something has been uprooting the Vallis and Hairgrass and lots of it is floating.
Picture009-3.jpg

Red Nose Shrimp
Picture052-5.jpg

Picture075-3.jpg

Picture084-1.jpg

At the End of a Hard Day (coping with the Mood Swings and Ups/Downs)- I Like nothing better then to cabbage in front of this and watch the fish interacting with the scape.
I love watching the spawning behaviuors of the different fish in here.

Themuleous said:
Looks quality :)

Sam

Thanks Sam, I really like how this is turning out.
I am amazed how long and thick Vallis Roots are. was replanting some of them and had to keep trimming them so that i could replant them.
The Hair grass has become very nice and sends out lots of runners. but they are above the sand in alot of them. So i pinched them off and replanted.

Alot of the HC wasn't eaten in the end, its floating in the Thick Matt of Riccia. Looks nice like that.

Threadfin Rainbows have arrived in Cov, so going to get some today.

Thanks for the Birthday Wishes Guys,

I ended up with the Following:
16 Threadfin Rainbows
10 V Minnows
3 Juli Cories
A stunning Dragon Sculpture - From the Dragonsite collection
Money
A New Car - Merc Brabus - On Waiting List
Lots of stuff for the tank
2 Pairs of True Giant Fighters
2 male HalfGiant Fighters
1 pair of Gold HMPK Fighters

Wow! you did do well

Thanks

I've heard of giant fighters. Are they still Betta splendens and just line bred to make them bigger?

They are Line bred to make them bigger.
If you are lucky enough to get a true giant (over 4 Inches just body length not fins - what i got) then you can get alot of money for the resulting fry.
I am just interested in keeping a large type of fighter. if they breed, then its a bonus.

Some Newer Pix of the Jungle.
Trimmed a few plants and moved some around.
Dsc_0033.jpg

One of my Pairs of Flag Fish - they are now outside in the planted 5*2 and are doing great.
AFlags.jpg

Dwarf Platty
Pix of the Fry and Mommies
DPMommy.jpg

DPBaby1.jpg

DwarfMum1.jpg

Heterandria Formosa - Least Killifish
Some new Pix of them
Hetty2-1.jpg

Hetty3.jpg

HettyMale.jpg

MrHetty.jpg

Babies
BabyHetty1.jpg

BabyHetty2.jpg

BabyHetty3.jpg

Threadfin Rainbows
I love these Guys from MA (thanks Stang1)
They Have settle in Amazingly Quickly and then i went and bought another 20 of them, for 12quid as My LFS had them in and i got 7females.

Threadfin1.jpg

Threadfin2.jpg

Threadfin3.jpg

Threadfin4.jpg

Threadfin5.jpg

Threadfin6.jpg

Threadfin7.jpg

CuttleFish Gobies
Cuttle1.jpg

Cuttle2.jpg

Cuttle3.jpg

Cuttle4.jpg

Cuttle5.jpg

Cuttle6.jpg

Cuttle7.jpg

Cuttle8.jpg

Tropheus Moori
Moori1.jpg

Moori2.jpg

Moori3.jpg

Moori4.jpg

Moori5.jpg

Red Nose Shrimp

RedNoseShrimp1.jpg

RedNoseShrimp2.jpg

ShrimpLilly.jpg

ShrimpLilly2.jpg

ShedSkin.jpg

Rams

ShyRam2.jpg

ShyRam3.jpg

Ram2.jpg

Ram1.jpg

FemaleRamGrass.jpg

Cories

PygmyCory1.jpg

PygmyCory2.jpg

JulliGrass2.jpg

Julli1.jpg

PeekaBoo
JulliPeekABoo.jpg

SteveUK said:
Do you find that your dwarf platties are essentially pooping machines? Mine seem to just peck at my moss all day and produce massive poops!

Yeah they are pooping machines. they peck away all day and poop and poop and poop and pooop
You got any fry yet ?

Not from these little guys no :( I had a few which were dropped in the bag due to stress while I was acclimitising them. One of those seemed to survive, and I moved it accross to the new tank but I've not seen it since. I assume the red line rasboras have munched it :(

I'm going to move the rasboras to my main tank when I re-do it on Sunday. Still fancy helping me out? :D

SteveUK said:
Not from these little guys no :( I had a few which were dropped in the bag due to stress while I was acclimitising them. One of those seemed to survive, and I moved it accross to the new tank but I've not seen it since. I assume the red line rasboras have munched it :(

I'm going to move the rasboras to my main tank when I re-do it on Sunday. Still fancy helping me out? :D

Oh well, you'll get some in the next batch.
Yeah I can come over on Sunday, would be after Midday as my sister is coming up to see us with her sprog in the morning.

Back