Variegated Bucephalandra

Hello guys,

I wondered if any of you have any knowledge of what could be the cause and how stable the mutation might be? Also is there any time period after which I can be confident that the mutation is stable? I might want to sell a rhizome and fund a growing Bucephalandra collection. Also some explanation on the biology and genomics would be interesting.

I‘ve had the plant for a year and I bought it farm grown, with the name sp. ‘Godzilla’ and it seems very similar to Tropica’s sp. ‘Kedagang’. The plant has been neglected a bit with some upper leaves drying out, but I’ve now moved it into a tank with pressurised CO2 and the growth has exploded. Recently,I was chuffed to notice that 4 or 5 leaves have developed variegation and they are on 2 different rhizomes. I think this is the extent of information I know about the plant, so here are some photos.

F4F3BEE7-44C1-436A-B8F5-0CFDD021267F.png
EBC74B53-082A-4810-9A96-8D76417756DA.jpeg
0B0C1629-992E-462A-9D09-25DC17E7126A.jpeg
798930E2-BB7A-4904-AA06-356B9D4B2A3B.jpeg
Thanks for your help :)

Sarpijk

Hi, personally I do not see any variegated leaves. If you mean the pinkish one I think it is just a new leaf which should darken up soon.

Variegation is sth like this Ficus Elastica. White and green instead if just green.
da8c6043a7728f1fe0bb04f1755c695f.jpg

Sarpijk

Yes I see now, and a quick Google search actually reveals there is such a thing. Are all the leaves like thia or just none or two? Could it be random effect due to some deficiency?

I don’t now what kind of deficiency it could be. I’ve grown a carpet of Hemianthus Cuba and various Hairgrass sp. in the same tank. Come to think of it I had some Rotala Green (not planted in soil) that got pale, but some liquid ferts were added and my Pistia Stratiotes (water lettuce) was a deep green just from nutrients in the water column.

Its a mutation that occurs in tne wild

On youtube, have a look at "Rimba Borneo" he has a vid about this
Thanks,

I suspected it was a spontaneous mutation, but in 2 separate rhizomes I was I bit incredulous. Perhaps I would be happier if the mutation were to fade suddenly ;).

Does anyone know anything about how consistent and persistent this mutation tends to be?