• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Variegation loss explanation please.

mort

I know it happens, I have done and it and have seen it happen but I'm unsure why exactly so would appreciate help please.

I'm talking about sansevieria, I have propagated the variegated form and now have small pure green pups emerging. I knew the new growth would revert back to the natural colouration but can't find why exactly. If I left the mother plant to grow naturally then I get copies of mother growing connected by the rhizome. Isn't this still vegative reproduction as would be a leaf cutting? If so why the difference. I'm probably being thick.

Hi all,
I'm talking about sansevieria, I have propagated the variegated form and now have small pure green pups emerging.
It is a bit of strange one, the variegated Sanseveria is actually a <"periclinal chimera">, where the pale stripe on the edge of the leaf is <"genetically distinct"> from the rest of the plant. I think variegated Chlorophytum (Spider plant) is the same type of chimera.

If you propagate these types of chimera by leaf cutting you get a green leaved plant, propagation by division should give you a (variegated) clone.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, that's very interesting.

Back