• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vase's 720 litre journal

A quick tip on the 'hard to remove' water lines.

You will scrub for hours to try and remove the white line of calcium etc BUT if you go into poundland (or a DIY store) and get a glass scraper (they are called wallpaper scrapers in Poundland) then these are awesome.

The Poundland one is like a 3-4 inch stanley blade which is the wrong way round for wallpaper stripping. undo the 3 screw and turn the blade around and you have the stanley razor edge.

I use these to scrape deposits off my windows, ceramic glass hob Oh and the tank before using the scrubber just to thoroughly clean where it was.

I would go for the Tetratecs IMO. For the money you can't really warrant spending double for not much extra. They are easy to use anyway, have a 3 year guarantee and Tetratec normally send replacement parts if anything goes wrong with not many questions as they need to build a reputation with the EOC always recommending Eheim filters as unbeatable.
As for filtering/flow I tend to have my filter just there for filtration and ignore wether its output is any good or not, then use a Koralia to give me the flow.

This should be a good tank. Would be good to see some pics with that background gone. A clean background is much cleaner looking IMO than printed ones or sculpted ones which to me are just distracting from the fish and plants.

Keep us updated

AC

Hey,

The only news I have is that the background has gone, but the tank is still in the same place on the floor...lol. Fish keeping took a serious backburner and is slowly returning. Hence my recent postings. I need to get my dining room floor tiled, then the room decorated. Once thats done I'm going to get the stand custom built and go from there. With another dog on the way (litter due Feb 18th!) thats something else to deal with. One of the reasons for the tiled floor :lol:

I've got a little writing pad that I've been using to plan the tank and now things seem so simple its great. You lot have been very helpful and supportive and my confidence seems to be returning, so thank you. I'm old school when it comes to fish keeping so I've got to re-learn stuff and catch up.

The main thing thats messing with my planning at the moment is substrate. I'm kind of like this. One minute in, only with substrate.. :lol:

So the tasks include:
Get custom stand built
Clean the tank!
Replace bracing on tank
Get custom tank made for product water
Upgrade RO unit
Source equipment: Fire extinguisher, Tetratecs, heaters etc
Decide on a substrate
Clean halide pendant and replace bulbs
Decide on hardscape, plants and fish stock, including Discus
Set up quarantine tank
And then get all the little bits that seem to add up and cost a fortune.

That about covers it :D

Let me know if you need a hand mate, i'm in Northants too. I could probably help with some of the equipment too if you need it.

Dan Crawford said:
Let me know if you need a hand mate, i'm in Northants too. I could probably help with some of the equipment too if you need it.

Thanks mate, thats mighty awesome of you ;) I'm gonna need all the help I can get!

The planning is about 90% complete, but still a few things to sort. I'm a perfectionist so I'm even working out where and how I'll be plugging things in. The main thing to plan now is the overflow set up (from product water tank) and a few water changing details. Its stopped for the minute as I've trapped a nerve in my wrist and I cant write or sketch! :rolleyes:

I'm recording all the fish and plants I like but I'll probably have to do the decor as I set up the tank. I cant plan stuff like that. Cant wait to get a nice group of 15 Stendkers in it!

Vase said:
I'm recording all the fish and plants I like but I'll probably have to do the decor as I set up the tank. I cant plan stuff like that. Cant wait to get a nice group of 15 Stendkers in it!

Ooh, make sure you put loads of pics up, I love the Stendkers, especially their red turqs and fire reds, colours are fantastic!
Where will you be going for them, Daydream Discus? They're not too far from you I dont think

Back