• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Very fine misting airstones?

John Lumb

Hi All,

Not sure if it is the right place to ask but here we are.

Can anyone please advise me of where they have, if at all or know where I can buy very fine bubble releasing airstones and airstrips? I do not want huge aggressive bubbles in the aquarium.

Thanks,

John

I believe the wooden airstones have the finest bubbles. :) Aqua Medic has a collection.

369906.jpg

I've also seen streaming pumps with venturi air diffuser that can give a very fine mist.

Just throw a few others into the ring if only for future reference;

Twinstar/Neo do an air diffuser. White block rather than the cork coloured version which is the co2 one. No personal experience with it but have had a few of the co2 iterations. At their best- very good.

Other option might be a h202 catalysing oxidator - like a Soechting (sp.). Bit more focussed and nuanced, can't be put on a timer, running costs, hard to quantify efficacy etc. Doesn't need power, create a noise from a vibrating diaphram pump, portable. It has it's place.

I love the woodblock option and would go there first. Curiosity, price and novelty make it an attractive method.

All the best

Bg

Bamboo chopstick also does the job it seems... :) At least I assume wooden chopsticks are all bamboo...
Since they come in square form you might need a pencil sharpener to make it snugly fit the tube.

Another option. Skip to 2 mins. These eheim diffusers have a felt pad and the grey cap screws in and out, crushing the felt to adjust the amount of bubbles, but they get a little finer too when screwed in. Annoyingly I can't find a video showing this aspect well. The bubbles in this video are about as fine as mine go, which will not be as fine a mist as the wooden airstones. Depends what you want. Fine mist bubbles or controllable bubbles. A first world dilemma.

I've used the Eheim diffuser and could get no where near the fine bubbles in the pictures, I have some aqua medic ones on order to use on my over night air pump will be interesting to see how they perform, in the write up the say to replace them in protein skimmers every 6 weeks at £8 for 2 this would be a costly exercise over the year

Twinstar/Neo do an air diffuser. White block rather than the cork coloured version which is the co2 one. No personal experience with it but have had a few of the co2 iterations. At their best- very good.

I have one of these, they're far from fine.

I have one of these, they're far from fine.
That's a shame but you've saved me money there. Thank you.
I've had a dud co2 diffuser from them but also a couple of outstanding ones that nothing beats for mist.

Dare I say it .......Twinstar M series?
(Coat, keys, hails taxi and runs for hills in a doubled-over, pattern-breaking hike)

Bg

Back