• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Very High and dropping bps!

Alex121

Seedling
I am hoping someone can help me with my Co2 setup which is driving me insane. I set up a new tank 6 weeks ago. Its an aquascaper1200 and I am using a Co2art Pro-SE series and using one of their new inline atomizer diffusors. I have battling with the CO2 system from the start and can not seem to get it stable. I have 2 issues:

1) To get a PH drop of around 1 from off gassed measurement I need a BPS of around 17BPS, running at around 35 PSI. I have been filming in slow motion to count this! I have read on here larger tanks need a higher bubble rate but this seems really high to me when compared to any guidelines I have read. Does this sound right for this tank or clearly something is amiss?

2) My second and biggest problem is the BPS will not stay stable overnight. I set it one day and it stays at that all day, however the next day it has slowed a bit but stays steady at this new rate for the day. The next day its has slowed a bit more. This means I have to constantly try and adjust it to keep it stable but this inevitably leads to fluctuating CO2 levels and now I am battling algae.

If anybody could help me out with this I would really appreciate it!

Try to see if you have leak over night. Close the cylinder valve and see if the pressure is lower on the morning. Make this first. Next is fault needle valve, but first watch for some leaks. About bps everything is possible, depends from many things.

I am hoping someone can help me with my Co2 setup which is driving me insane. I set up a new tank 6 weeks ago. Its an aquascaper1200 and I am using a Co2art Pro-SE series and using one of their new inline atomizer diffusors. I have battling with the CO2 system from the start and can not seem to get it stable. I have 2 issues:

1) To get a PH drop of around 1 from off gassed measurement I need a BPS of around 17BPS, running at around 35 PSI. I have been filming in slow motion to count this! I have read on here larger tanks need a higher bubble rate but this seems really high to me when compared to any guidelines I have read. Does this sound right for this tank or clearly something is amiss?

2) My second and biggest problem is the BPS will not stay stable overnight. I set it one day and it stays at that all day, however the next day it has slowed a bit but stays steady at this new rate for the day. The next day its has slowed a bit more. This means I have to constantly try and adjust it to keep it stable but this inevitably leads to fluctuating CO2 levels and now I am battling algae.

I had the same issue with CO2 Art Pro-SE regulator and in tank flux bazooka. I set 2bps and next day it got to 1.75bps and day after 1.5bps.. and after the month clogged flux bazooka. Upping working pressure to 50psi didn’t work.. replacing flux bazooka didn’t work. It took me 6 months to resolve the issue.
First of all I had a leak from extra JBL check valve. Removed the valve.
Then I’ve replaced flux bazooka with twinstar neo diffuser. From here everything significantly improved and got stable.
Also later I found that I had a leak from regulator to bottle connection as my 1,5kg bottle lasted just 3 months and the new 1,5kg is already used over 6 months.
But still I found that even now if I set bps at room temperature 22c and next day temperature drops to say 17c the bps will decrease too :(
In my opinion this kit is overpriced for such low quality but their support is amazing 🤩

Last edited:

I'm probably wrong, but i think the co2art inline diffusers require a higher working pressure than 35psi? From what i remember my pro-se regulator goes up to like 39/40psi, not sure if this is enough?

Never bothered counting my BPS rate on 500l

I just adjusted the PSI till I got it stable, ended up at 50PSI - not for the faint hearted. Plus took a long time to get it right.

Like @Kezzab said, ignore the BPS esp with big tanks IMO, as once the BPS get high it is fruitless, trust your DC, repeat your pH profile and watch your fish. Plus some diffusors and equipment may be faulty, Use to check mine with bubbles for leaks.

Thanks everyone for the replies it is much appreciated!

I have checked for leaks and cant seem to find any, I have seen your video @Zeus looking through old threads and have found it reassuring. I will certainly try upping the PSI and using it to fine tune once I am close to 1PH drop. The Pro SE is supposed to be capped at 40PSI but mine seems to go closer to 50 not sure if this is a faulty reading on the pressure gauge or the spring was not accurately set but either way not correct. Also the main pressure gauge has always read 700PSI which again is not correct so something must not be right. I must admit I am a bit disappointed with the regulator, I have had a much cheaper single stage running on another tank for about 4 years which has never missed a beat! I am in contact with CO2 art going back and forth and will try all your suggestions, thank you again. I will update once I get to the bottom of it or give up and switch systems! I would love to try a GLA regulator but is $100+ just for shipping!

Thanks everyone for the replies it is much appreciated!

I have checked for leaks and cant seem to find any, I have seen your video @Zeus looking through old threads and have found it reassuring. I will certainly try upping the PSI and using it to fine tune once I am close to 1PH drop. The Pro SE is supposed to be capped at 40PSI but mine seems to go closer to 50 not sure if this is a faulty reading on the pressure gauge or the spring was not accurately set but either way not correct. Also the main pressure gauge has always read 700PSI which again is not correct so something must not be right. I must admit I am a bit disappointed with the regulator, I have had a much cheaper single stage running on another tank for about 4 years which has never missed a beat! I am in contact with CO2 art going back and forth and will try all your suggestions, thank you again. I will update once I get to the bottom of it or give up and switch systems! I would love to try a GLA regulator but is $100+ just for shipping!
I can set working pressure on mine up to 50psi too and cylinder pressure is between 700 and 750psi. My guess is that those flux diffusers need higher working pressure like Elite provides..

I thought I would update in case anyone was interested, I took the advice and tried upping the working pressure to 45PSI and the next day it held steady and has done since. Lucky my regulator went that high as its supposed to only go to 40. I suspect the BPS may have a maximum for a particular working pressure with these inline diffusors and I was asking too much at 35PSI. Whatever the cause its fixed I am so relieved now I can dial it in and move onto the next problem!

Don't think he is.
Think he's setting the bubble rate,one day..and the next day it drops.
Been there,got the shirt.

HI @jpc , @johndory is correct I'm not running it at night, it's just when the solenoid switched back on the next day the bps had gone down, the the next day down a bit more and so on, as I said above got it stable at 45PSI but still no idea what was actually going on!

Back