• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Very long hair algae

Managed to get to work today.. (and left already :) )

Here are some pictures i have taken of it,

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

It was longer in some areas, but i trimmed them before i took these.

I have trimmed the affected areas, doing 2 large water changes over the next few days, and i have blacked out the tank.

Fingers crossed i have caught it early

What do you think it is??

Looks like you run of the mill hair algae to me but can't confirm or deny spyrogyra unless at the microscopic level like JamesC has on his algae page. I'd say CO2 or flow/distribution. As the biomass builds one does tend to get blockage. After the blackout you might want to tweak CO2 or look at distribution methods. I hate to suggest that though seeing as how you're getting uber-expensive fish. Might have to supplement with Excel or consider algae eaters to stay on the safe side. :?

Cheers,

That looks a lot like the Ulothrix I had. I didn't have as much at that, just the odd stray hair. If I let things slide, going away for the weekend, for instance, when I got back there would be very long, green hairs spanning the tank. When I was there to hassle it, it turned pale - almost translucent grey - and was short and straggly, like this:

up%20-%203.jpg

If you send me a sample I'll try and identify it.

Then again, if you've started the blackout, it's probably best to leave it.

Thanks,

I might consider some type of algae eater, not sure on what type though at the moment..

Waiting on the hydor pumps so will have 3 around the tank to help flow, hopefully that will help

If it returns I will try and get some sent to you to confirm what it is, thanks for the help

Rgds,
james

Back