• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

VERY slow growth - time to add Co2?

Sammiec0108

Hi all,

My tank has been running for just over a year now, i started with some low light easy care plants, java fern, crypts, Vallis, Java Moss and Anubias, however, following some algae issues i had reduced the lighting and added some duckweed which cleared up the algae but the plants have been thoroughly underwhelming since then (they appear healthy to a certain extent but very stunted).

My equipment is below, within the last month I have gradually increased the dosing of TNC complete from 2ml per day to 5ml per day and this alone seemed to increase the growth (albeit only slightly), to accompany the additional ferts I recently delved into the 'pro-mode' on my Fluval 3.0 planted and adjusted the photoperiod and scheduling for the lighting (i followed a video here) to a version which suits the sort of plants i have in my tank (albeit I have them scaled down at 70% to avoid an algae explosion due to a sudden imbalance due to an increase in light.)

I'm now starting to see some thread algae on a couple of plants (very little, but only 1 week into the new lighting regime). I've also added some amazon frogbit with a view to using it to indicate nutrient levels, although it is sending out roots (almost to the bottom of the tank) the leaves on some of the plants look slightly yellow, would this just be the plants adjusting to the new 'water' or does this indicate a deficiency? There also seems to be a much larger amount of snails than usual.

The Valis also tends to grow to a certain height but then the leaves turn brown at the tops and tear.

I'm taking my time building the lighting, i've also got a Co2 system that could be added - but i'm worried about changing too much too quickly - any advice on how to improve growth but avoid the algae i've experienced when increasing light in the past would be much appreciated

Thanks very much in advance,

Sam

125l tank
Dosing 5ml TNC complete per day
Fluval 3.0 'Steep Sunset' setting
Water change once per week

Hi all,
although it is sending out roots (almost to the bottom of the tank) the leaves on some of the plants look slightly yellow, would this just be the plants adjusting to the new 'water' or does this indicate a deficiency?
Both the <"long roots"> and the yellowing may be deficiency symptoms. Have a look at <"Duckweed Index says...."> and can we have a picture of Frogbit?

What we are really interested in is whether the new leaves or older leaves? are looking yellow.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel,

thanks for this - below are a couple of pictures, one of the frobit (with various damaged leaves) and the other is the duckweed, come to think of it, i think the duckweed is also less abundant than usual, strange as I've only increased the ferts (and very recently the light)

Any advice would be much appreciated! I assumed the frogbit might just be adjusting to the new water parameters (i always expect a slight deterioration of new plants when first settled into the tank. You'll also see the dwarf water lettuce has pretty much melted)

Having read up a bit more, i gather TNC complete can be double/triple dosed vs the suggested amounts on the bottom (1ml per 10l per week) to reflect EI levels. I'm at about 35ml per week at the moment for the 125l tank so about triple the dose, i'd be interested to hear your thoughts - would it be OK to increase the dose further without the addition of supplementary Co2?

thanks in advance

Sam

IMG_20200826_160523_resized_20200826_040728852.jpg
IMG_20200826_160500_resized_20200826_040730430.jpg

Hi all,
below are a couple of pictures, one of the frobit (with various damaged leaves) and the other is the duckweed, come to think of it, i think the duckweed is also less abundant than usual, strange as I've only increased the ferts (and very recently the light)
I'm not sure at all, the Frogbit (Limnobium leavigatum) and Duckweed (Lemna minor) look healthy, but the Salvinia and Pistia don't look to be enjoying life. I'd probably just keep an eye on it for the moment.

There are <"cheaper options"> than TNC complete, but it should be OK otherwise.

cheers Darrel

thanks Darrel, i think that it might be something as simple as lighting.

I use a black lid (split into 2 parts) with the fluval 3.0 running between them, but it is the standard fluval bracket meaning the 'spread' of the light is quite narrow and i wonder if by keeping the floating plants to the edges and with a black lid, they just aren't getting the light they need - i've raised the light to increase the coverage and they should all now be getting more light (albeit the intensity into the tank is going to reduce a bit, but i'm assuming PAR doesn't decrease too quickly through 'air' ) and i'm going 'lidless' to see if it makes a difference.

I'll keep an eye on things, hopefully by raising it up slightly may also reduce the intensity of the light very slightly to reduce the algae i've started to see until the plants get used to using the longer photoperiod and out competing the algae.

I'm still keen on starting to add supplementary Co2, but i'll post something in the Co2 forum as I want to raise all the parameters together to try and balance things to control the algae.

thanks alot!

Early indications are that may have been it! Other plants perking up and more root growth too!

Back