• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Very strange creature in my freshwater aquarium please help me ID this need to no if its a parasite or not. Thank you

Tommythefish

IMG_20220218_195512_794.jpg

Not a very sharp photo, but the body reminds me a little of brine shrimp, except it doesn’t appear to have a tail.

That's better, and the coin for scale is good.
I still think an isopod of some sort, Asellus or one of its relatives. Probably came in on some plants, maybe when it was tiny. Could be a foreigh species, depending on where your plants were grown.

Nice one you beautiful people I very much appreciate your wisdom, yh thought as much all my tanks are planted. Plants from maidenhead aquatic. Just to be sure it isn't a parasite and I can put it back in the tank.

The dark pattern looks like a branched intestine so my guess would be some kind of flatworm, possibly a planarian but there are thousands to choose from. It's probably harmless unless you are trying to breed shrimps, and any fish big enough would happily eat it.

Probably unlikely to harm shrimp although I can't say for certain.
I get some monster snail leeches in the river at the bottom of the garden during the Summer but they mostly seem to be feeding on detritus collected in the Nuphar leaves......or they might be hunting for snails lol

@MirandaB That's a relief. Nice one pal , I put it back in a tank of its with some snails justing case. All the best. Six Nations 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Back