• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vietnamese minnows

hotweldfire

Could people who have kept Tanichthys micagemmae give me their opinion on them? Especially how are they with shrimp? I know all fish will predate on shrimplets but will these be any worse than microrasbora? Am considering swapping out my chilis as they're struggling with the temp (22-23c) and flow (950lph external and 1600lph koralia on a 125l tank). I know they're roughly the same size but am assuming they're a bit more boisterous on the basis of keeping cloud whites before.

Themuleous said:
Ive never kept them but as they are in the same genus as...

Just a remark:

Assuming that two different species that belong to the same genus have similar behaviours can be quite tricky. Do not forget that animal/plant classification is mostly based on morphometrics (and more recently genetics). It says nonthing about behaviour, ecological role, diet or any other ecological characteristic.

G

I keep them with tiger shrimp, they are pretty shrimp friendly as much as the microrasboras, maybe even better as they won't root about in moss looking for shrimplets, though if a tiny shrimplet goes for a swim its toast.

Thanks Liam, that's helpful. Have you had any joy breeding them in the same tank? I understand they're remarkably easy to breed but would have thought the shrimp would eat all the eggs.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Back