• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Visit to Planted Tanks shop, Selby, N.Yorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I have recently returned from a holiday to North Yorkshire. I thought it would be a good idea to take the opportunity to visit the new Planted Tanks shop, owned by Tony aka Frosties.

I think it's worth mentioning that Tony and I have not always seen eye-to-eye in the past, but the Internet lacks the human aspect that is often required for effective communication. I looked forward to discussing our issues face-to-face and I'm glad we did. It was a worthwhile visit on several levels.

The shop itself is relatively small - two rooms inside a unit on an industrial estate. What the shop lacked in size Tony made up for in real enthusiasm and passion for the hobby. I was surprised to hear how little experience Tony had of the planted aquarium world and he admitted it had been a very steep learning curve, gaining much advice from Luis aka ghostsword.

There are three 180cm plant holding tanks, including one dedicated to crypts. This was the most impressive for me, with many species I had never seen before.

The plants, all shipped in from the Far East were mostly in bunches and in good health, for the most part. The holding tanks themselves were a simple but effective design, lit by T5 with decent levels of circulation, CO2 and other nutrients.

The selection of dry good was impressive for such a small shop including some nice hardscape and very interesting products I had never seen before.

Planted Tanks are the sole UK distributor of Dupla and the stock was impressive, even though they still don't produce T5 lighting or NPK ferts... However, if you're after a high-end CO2 regulator then look no further!

'Hobby' (Dupla-owned) products are also stocked and they produce a substrate material that looked identical to a well-known Japanese substrate product that sits underneath Aqua Soil... They also have some great CO2 fittings such as manifolds and valves that make the running of numerous tanks from a single CO2 cylinder a very simple job.

Planted Tanks supply 3Kg CO2 cylinders at a very good price with inexpensive re-fills. If I lived more locally I would definitely use this service.

Also worth mentioning are the impressive selection of dry ferts (from APFUK), branded aquascaping tools and New Era products.

Perhaps the highlight of my visit was re-scaping the smaller of the shop's two display tanks. One minute I was suggesting areas for improvement, the next we were ripping out plants and re-arranging them.

Unfortunately my DSLR was out of batteries so I had to rely on my iPhone...

Before (photo by Planted Tanks)
71ec274b.jpg

After
GeorgeFarmer.jpg

Overall it was a lovely visit and I'm came away with some great plants and the coolest aquascaping tool ever (self-sprung scissors).

If you're ever in the area then do pop in, and if you're after plants (especially rarer species) and other products at a good price then consider trying out Planted Tanks.

I must make the time to visit the shop for sure. That crypt scape looks amazing.

I use Dupla regulators, provided by Tony, and they are really an amazing piece of kit. But self sprung scissors? I need to get one of these for sure. :D

Sounds good George i might try and pop down if i can, planted tanks has one of the best range of plants on offer! :D and it was me asking about the glosso if you rember when Tony was on the phone thanks for the honest advice. ;)

Setting up an online shop in one thing going all the way into the retail area is a much larger challenge and praise for even trying it. Hope it all works out, some photos of the shop in general would be good. For advice on the planted tank are there is no better place than UKAPS ;)

George did a great job with the tank, looking great :)

As I am not a sponsor to UKAPS I have specifically spoken to a UKAPS founder for permission to post the following comments.

This week our plant farms in the far east made an error!! A big one...! They sent us an entire wrong order - both packing cases in truth. We therefore wish to advise any customer with an order placed for delivery this week - it is being delayed.

With this in mind we now have a HUGE quantity of plants available. The plants are going to be listed below, and these will all be available online for immediate shipment this week.

REMEMBER - PlantedTanks is NOT a sponsor so we have agreed a deal with UKAPS as a one off.

Plants available for immediate supply
5 x Red Nesaea Crassicules
8 x Anubia Barteri Nana
2 x Bolbitis heudelotii
15 x Cryptocoryne Balansae
5 x Crytpocoryne Ciliata
5 x Cryptocoryne Lucens
15 x Cryptocoryne Walkeri
5 x Cyperus Helferi
5 x Lagarosiphon Major
10 x Ludwigia Arcuata
5 x Hygrophilia angustifolia
10 x Hygrophilia Corymbosa
5 x Hygrophilia Corymbosa var. Siamensis
4 x Valisneria Sprialis 'Torti' (Asiatica)
5 x Mayaca Fluviatilis
5 x Hygrophilia Polysperma Rosanervis
5 x Cryptocoryne Lutea
5 x Egeria Najas
5 x Tonina Fluviatilis
5 x Hygrophilia Corymbosa Cherry Leaf
1 x Hygrophilia Angustifolia (pot)
1 x Crinium Aquatica
15x Cryptocoryne Tropica (pot)
2 x Cryptocoryne Willisii (pot)
15 x Cryptocoryne mother plants (8cm pot) available only via the forum.
14 x Echinodorus Tenellus
4 x Hygrophilia Polysperma Broad-leaf
2 x Limnobium Laevigatum
1 x Echinodorous x Barthii / Red melon sword (pot)
1 x Hydrocotyle Leucocephala / Pennywort
1 x Ceratopteris Siliquosa / fine leaf Indian fern
1 x Alternanthera Reineckii / Telanthera, Rosaefolia
1 x Alternanthera Lilacina
1 x Hygrophila Difformis / Water Wisteria
1 x Micranthemum Micranthemoides
5 x Microsorum Pteropus / Java Fern
1 x Ludwigia Arcuata / Needle Leaf
1 x Echinodorous Parviflorous / Black Amazon Sword
1 x Limnophila Aromatica / Rice Paddy Herb
1 x Glossostigma Elatinoides / Glosso

Plants available immediately in the UK. Plants will be sold at £1.50 each. limited quantity available as detailed above. From every purchase at £1.50, PlantedTanks will donate to UKAPS 50p

The mother plants are £5.50 each. Donation of £1.00 will be given to UKAPS

Postage will be £3.95 flat rate and plants will be shipped using Royal Mail recorded. Orders via PM or email only. This offer is NOT available on the shop site.

This offer is subject to availability.

To place an order you MUST Email tony@plantedtanks.co.uk You will then receive a PayPal invoice by return. Payment must be made prior to your order being shipped. Once shipped, the donation to UKAPS will be sent.

Just placed my order for the below - Thanks Tony :)

1 x Cryptocoryne Balansae
1 x Cryptocoryne Tropica (pot)
1 x Echinodorus Tenellus
1 x Limnobium Laevigatum
1 x Anubias Coffeefolia
1 x Anubia Nana Golden
1 x Valisneria Sprialis 'Torti' (Asiatica)

Westyggx said:
Frostie sorry to sound thick but how do i know which ones are mother plants? cheers

The mother plants are in 8cm pots... They dwarf every other plant in the crypt tank... You will get a random crypt mother plant...

Thanks to the orders so far today - I have just donated to the forum £6.50. I will be processing any further orders tomorrow morning.

tony

Westyggx order will be included tomorrow.

Missed this and i should comment as i walked into the shop just as they werre admiring their handywork. Missed seeing the scape happen by an hour gutted.
Cracking scape and a fantastic transformation. Even more so when you realise that the hardscape is virtually untouched a few additional plants and some serious rearranging of the existing plants and it only took an hour. wow

And a final word for those of you thinking of taking a punt on those crypt motherplants - you won't be dissapointed

Following yesterdays orders - please see below the latest plant availability list.

Plants available for immediate supply
5 x Red Nesaea Crassicules
6 x Anubia Barteri Nana
2 x Bolbitis heudelotii
13 x Cryptocoryne Balansae
5 x Crytpocoryne Ciliata
4 x Cryptocoryne Lucens
13 x Cryptocoryne Walkeri
5 x Cyperus Helferi
5 x Lagarosiphon Major
10 x Ludwigia Arcuata
5 x Hygrophilia angustifolia
10 x Hygrophilia Corymbosa
5 x Hygrophilia Corymbosa var. Siamensis
4 x Valisneria Sprialis 'Torti' (Asiatica)
5 x Mayaca Fluviatilis
5 x Hygrophilia Polysperma Rosanervis
5 x Cryptocoryne Lutea
4 x Egeria Najas
5 x Tonina Fluviatilis
5 x Hygrophilia Corymbosa Cherry Leaf
1 x Hygrophilia Angustifolia (pot)
1 x Crinium Aquatica
12x Cryptocoryne Tropica (pot)
15 x Cryptocoryne mother plants (8cm pot) available only via the forum.
14 x Echinodorus Tenellus
4 x Hygrophilia Polysperma Broad-leaf
2 x Limnobium Laevigatum
1 x Echinodorous x Barthii / Red melon sword (pot)
1 x Hydrocotyle Leucocephala / Pennywort
1 x Ceratopteris Siliquosa / fine leaf Indian fern
1 x Alternanthera Reineckii / Telanthera, Rosaefolia
1 x Alternanthera Lilacina
1 x Hygrophila Difformis / Water Wisteria
1 x Micranthemum Micranthemoides
5 x Microsorum Pteropus / Java Fern
1 x Ludwigia Arcuata / Needle Leaf
1 x Echinodorous Parviflorous / Black Amazon Sword
1 x Limnophila Aromatica / Rice Paddy Herb
1 x Glossostigma Elatinoides / Glosso

Status