• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Visitor in my Aquarium

Hi all, whilst trimming my hairgrass I came across this little fella in the bottom of my tank amongst the shrimp. Can anyone identify? I recognise the three pronged tail!?

17855f247442d014f5e7fbc181a231ef.jpg

Yep looks like a damsel fly nymph, they certainly would eat small shrimp on fry but I doubt they could take a full grown fish.

No Damselfy needed to visit your aquarium for this to happen, more than likely you introduced them as eggs attached to plants that you had put in the tank, depending on the species, water temperature and food availability they can live anywhere from a few months to a few years at the nymph stage.

:)

Ps. The shrimp in your tank represent favourable conditions to grow a fine set of wings!

Ive had them before in my shrimp tanks -only ever seen about 3 however.. , they can come from plants you've bought - Ive personally never seen one cause harm to a shrimp - but id get it out just incase - and also they do look unsightly in a shrimp tank I find :)

Back