• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vito's first planted tank - Juwel Rio 125 (NEW PICS July 09)

Re: Vito's first planted tank - Juwel Rio 125 (Finally!!!)

lowering surface agitation with more co2 is a bad combination. Its an error that many have done. Very bad news espeicially losing the green neons. Beautiful fish.

Ahh I made school boy error, it wasn't the co2 after all, when I did the water change on thursday I forgot to turn the heater back on, poor guys froze to death... lost 35 green neons and 1 SAE, temp was reading 10 degrees when I realised...
Once bitten, twice shy i suppose.

Vito

Just an update on the tank so far... Upping the Co2 has had a fantastic impact on the growth of plants and the HC is filling out nicely, at last. On the flip side im fighting a constant battle with BBA, the easycarbo isnt scratching it, I am guessing because I have the co2 on a timer and not 24 hour the massive fluctuations is causing it, I bought a pair of true SAE's after being sold some fakes but unforunatly died within an hour, more than likely due to suffercation because of the co2 levels... Im considering a rescape also because I feel this has been much my "L plate tank" and I have learnt alot (most the hard way) and still have much more to learn. Anyway I am going to observe the tank over the next few days and make a decision weather to re-strart or not.

Any way Ill keep you all posted.

Vito

Vito,
It depends on when your timer comes on. There is not an inherent risk of BBA just because the tank is on a timer versus 24/7. Generally, the CO2 should come on an hour or two before the lights come on. The idea is to saturate the water column enough so that at lights on the plants can immediately begin to feed and it is at this time when they are most vulnerable to carbon starvation. if your injection rate is poor then it may take longer to reach the proper saturation levels and the plants may still suffer, especially if the lighting is high, so it's a combination of injection rate and timing. If you had BBA to begin with adding CO2 does not mean that the BBA will disappear overnight because BBA loves CO2 just like any plant, so they will respond as well. You have to physically remove the BBA as well as physically remove all infected leaves. You need to also do more water changes to remove BBA spores from the water column. You can dose 2X or 3X the stated amounts of the Easycarbo bottle as long as you don't have susceptible plants like Riccia which respond poorly to the liquid carbon products.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice ceg, Im going to carry on with the scape for now as its currently situated in my conservatory that's due to be completely demolished and re-built into a new extension over the the next 6 months or so and that will give me plenty of time for planning for the new setup.
I have repositioned the spraybar at one end of the tank along with the intake on the same side at the back and the ceramic diffuser at the opposite end of the tank, hopefully this will increase the flow of co2 around the tank and keep the algae at bay. Its due a water change on Thursday but I'm off tomorrow so I'll do an early one instead and probably another on Sunday.
I might even go buy a couple more SAE's and introduce them into the tank straight after the WC so there is plenty of o2 in the tank.
Ill be posting some more pics by the end of them month, the Hairgrass is growing like mad!

Vito

Hey guys,

Its been nearly 2 months since I last posted pics so I thought I would update, I got rid of the Redeye's and left it up to the "clean up crew" to work their magic, nearly all of the BBA has gone and the plants seem to be doing well.
1001490.jpg

1001485l.jpg

1001484z.jpg

1001483.jpg

1001481.jpg

1001478.jpg

1001472.jpg

1001477.jpg

1001475c.jpg

1001474.jpg

1001473.th.jpg

1001471.jpg

1001468.jpg

1001467.jpg

1001466.jpg

1001500.jpg

1001499.jpg

1001498b.jpg

Oh and I have now added rummies!!!
All comments welcome.
Vito

Re: Vito's first planted tank - Juwel Rio 125 (NEW PICS MAY 09)

TDI-line said:
Really nice Vito, great choice of fish too. :D
Its looking like a mini version of your tank hehe ;)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comment and feedback so far, everyone as been really helpful, I'm just trying to keep the thread going so I thought an update is due. My tank is in my conservatory so not Ideal for taking pictures during the day but I couldn't resist.

Pic of HC, at last I am able to grow the stuff its my favorite plant for any aquarium and I will probably use it in all my future tanks.
23671078.jpg

Pic of the Blyxa jungle base, my candy loach lives in there, he is very shy maybe I should get another but I know hes alive because the snails are kept at bay.
74839418.jpg

Lastly an arial view.
13718899.jpg

I will be taking some full tank snaps this evening when its dark and there is no reflection on the glass.
Any comments welcomed!
Thanks for reading,

Vito.

Thanks George, appreciate the comments, I have been and will continue to prune the carpet mainly because the Hairgrass was taking over, it grows back so quickly and trimming makes a massive mess. I have no choice, I must trim or the hairgrass takes over...

As promised here are the pictures I've just taken, enjoy.

25608577.jpg

39293714.jpg

1001521.jpg

1001518i.jpg

36114981.jpg

The rummies love to swim up against the glass, I'm assuming they think the reflection is another fish..?
73342067.jpg

One from earlier I forgot to upload.
1001512.jpg

1001519p.jpg

Again any Feedback welcomed,
Thanks for reading.

Vito

The rummies love to swim up against the glass, I'm assuming they think the reflection is another fish..?

from the inside they can just see out like we see in. it is only when looking at anoth pane from the side like shown in picture 2.

or at least that is what i think!

Looking nice and lush anyway :)

aaronnorth said:
from the inside they can just see out like we see in. it is only when looking at anoth pane from the side like shown in picture 2.

Yeah you right mate makes sence, maybe something to do with the flow of the tank, could be any explanation for it. Thanks for the comments mate, appriciate it.

Vito

Tank is looking great, puts mine to shame at the moment, I can't grow Blyxa or HC and you do both very well haha, I need to get rid of those rainbows they not CO2 tolerant!! :(

stuworrall said:
wow, that HC has really grown in. Looing really good vito and the rummynoses really suit it. Ive been looking at some of those for mine after I lost my shoal :(

Thanks stu, yeah the HC has taken off at last, thanks to the advice from many people from here. I love the rummy's because they are so active but I still preffer green neons and I will be buying 35-40 once im back from mexico.
thanks again for the comments!

Vito

Your tank has filled out well. Keep us posted!

Back