• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vito's first planted tank - Juwel Rio 125 (NEW PICS July 09)

Hey everyone, Just over a month since my last update so here goes!
I went to Mexico, Riviera Maya, 20 mins outside of Cancun and It was absolutly amazing, lots of great sea life and plenty of tequila. So we me being on holiday I had to figure out some ingenious way to dose the ferts and feed the fish so I came up with this,
1001684.jpg
Basicly home made calendar, colour coded for the certain ferts and with small plastic sealable bags with the correct ammounts of ferts and food in the bag and then each bag was pinned to the correct date. The colour coding was to minimize confusion. So I left this in the capable hands of my quickly trained brothers who did an amazing job, I did make it idiot proof so I wasnt expecting mutch to go wrong. When I returned I was suprised to see how much growth had occured in the space of two weeks it was like a jungle compared to when I left and here is the proof.
1001673i.jpg

1001675a.jpg

1001676s.jpg

1001680v.jpg

One thing I wanted to show that there is this kinda non growth happening under the blyxa and it looks like spaggetti under it, I am guessing its due to no light getting in there but you only notice it if you look up at the tank.
1001681k.jpg

I do like the grass but it coverd my HC so I have just trimmed it, took me ages to clean up the trimmings and there a few bits still floating in there, when I do the weekly water change on thursday it will be much cleaner.
So here are the pcis of what it looks like now.

1001686.jpg

1001688i.jpg

1001691q.jpg

Just messing with the exposure on this shot.
1001694.jpg

1001695w.jpg

1001698m.jpg

Ok well that the update so far, any comments welcomed.

Vito

Very Nice, the plants look really healthy. I agree blyxa looks best in separate mounds, like you have it. Mine currently looks a bit sad after a major trim. I'll have to treat it to a good slug of ferts.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it, alot of time and effort goes into planted tanks and probably especially when its your first one, but it has all been well worth it. I will be running the tank until september and then I will be re-strarting a whole new layout but until then keep an eye out for my updates.

Thanks again,

Vito

how many post6s of hairgrass did you start out with?
did you divide them up into tiny portions or just small portions? :lol:

love the blyxa island. :thumbup:

Nick16 said:
how many post6s of hairgrass did you start out with?
did you divide them up into tiny portions or just small portions? :lol:

love the blyxa island. :thumbup:
Thanks Nick!
I started with about 2 pots worth, split them into bunches of 15 or so strands and planted them inch apart but I would probably recommend planting less stands and closer together to gain a quicker carpet, but if your patient then my way works too.

Thanks for the comments guys, really appriciate it. i have learned so much from this tank,It was my first attempt and what a journey it has been but that has now come to an end, I have since taken the scape down and donated most the plants out to other ukaps members and I am currently seting up a brand new scape, same tank and equipment just diffrent style, should be set up by begining of october.

Thanks again guys!

Back