• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Volcanic Slopes... 10G Journal...

CJ Castle

Seedling
Hi,

This is my latest setup, some info:

- Lighting: DIY luminaire (24x1 and 36x1 T5 PowerCompacts; 60W)
- CO2: LunaPet 2Kg system
- Substrate: Eco-Complete (I love this stuff!)
- Decor: Lava rock
- Plants: Blyxa japonica, Echinodorus tennellus, Eleocharis parvula, Vallisneria caulescens, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Limnophila aquatica, Hydrocotyle sinthorpoides and Micranthemum umbrosum...
- Filtration: Tetratec EX600
- Tank: ClearSeal 45cm, 30cm, 30...

Picture taken 1 day after planting:

Volcanicslopesday2003.jpg

Any comments?

Hi Corin,
Nice one! Although I love Blyxa I was thinking that the ratio of the mound height to the blyxa height was a bit disproportionate. It might have been better to go with something a little lower there as you move to the right, maybe HC or UG hugging the ground would make the volcano seem higher. 8) Pretty nice in either case.

Cheers,

Thanks for the comment...

HC would look really good on the right as the rock is dark

I agree... HC (and maybe some UG, as Ceg mentioned) would look better than the Lilaeopsis. Still early days and I have plenty of time to change the scape... I'll wait for the Lilaeopsis to fill in more (as I just bought it from AE, top quality - thanks Richard)...

Great tank CJ, when it grows in it should look sweet. I have a load of HC, Corin which I'm growing emersed, I can give you some if you want.

I agrre that the hard scape looks great, Corin. IMO, getting this part right is the hardest part of aquascaping. It forms the foundations of everything that follows.

Having said that, plant choice is very important, and I feel one or two of your choices are inappropriate for a tank this small. The MU will look great, and you could consider using HM too.

I have never had any Lilaeopsis sp, but they may prove to be a possible replacement for the Blyxa. Even the Eleocharis `parvula` may do this for you, but given space to grow outwards, it does stay fairly low.

HC would look great filling in the nooks and crannies of the rock. If your Echinodorus tennellus is anything like mine it could grow too tall to be considered anywhere other than towards the back.

The tank is off to a great start, though.

Dave.

Hi all,
Thanks for the comments...

I agree with your views on the planting... I've decided to remove the blyxa and move the Lilaeopsis to where the blyxa is currenty planted. I'll then plant HC around the forground... I'll also plant (around the Lilaeopsis) some tennellus and Eleocharis... I'll probably move the vallis into my 200 litre planted and replace with Limnophila or Hydrocotyle or MU (or a combination)... Something like that... ;) I'm glad you guys like the hardscape, I'm pretty pleased with it to...

Back