• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

VYAIR COMPACT REVERSE OSMOSIS UNIT

If your going to get an RO unit might as well make it a 4 stage. Have a look at osmotics.co.uk , im very happy with mine and the service from them, They come highly recommended in the marine world, also easy to replace filters. Buy cheap buy twice is usually the case.

easerthegeezer said:
If your going to get an RO unit might as well make it a 4 stage. Have a look at osmotics.co.uk , im very happy with mine and the service from them, They come highly recommended in the marine world, also easy to replace filters. Buy cheap buy twice is usually the case.

Iain
I know nothing about RO's so what the fourth stage that is missing on this unit, and what is the benefit of it that warrants spending a lot more on the unit ? Cheers

stage 4 is deionization, removal and exchange of ions - you get a much lower TDS, 0 ideally. dont ask me any more than that as it is all brain melting science :lol: My RO TDS from hard cambridge tap water was 6 when i had it tested last.
Im sure someone could explain it in laymens terms but that someone aint me ;)

easerthegeezer said:
stage 4 is deionization, removal and exchange of ions - you get a much lower TDS, 0 ideally. dont ask me any more than that as it is all brain melting science :lol: My RO TDS from hard cambridge tap water was 6 when i had it tested last.

Its a start. I do like knowing the technical side of things.

easerthegeezer said:

Interesting, thought the 3 stage did that?

dont think the 3 stage goes so low, not sure what level though. I would suggest that if its for freshwater the likelihood of 3 stage at 30-50? TDS or 0-5 TDS from 4 stage making any difference is negligible unless there is a specific reason you need it that low. I think a lot of people, myself included, use it simply to make water softer so 3 stage would have done the job but i keep marine also. 4 stage does also give more leeway as TDS rises between filter changes if you keep sensitive creatures...high grade shrimp etc

billy boy said:
Take a look at this 4 stage unit, I bought this one a few years ago and has served me very well and comes at a excellent price to.
I get my spare filters from this guy to with a first class service :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-STAGE-WITH- ... i630wt_779

Cheers
thanks mate, yeah the 3 stage one I posted seller does a 4 for a tad more. So wasn't an issue, but would always go on recomendations so thanks, rather go for one recommended.

easerthegeezer said:
dont think the 3 stage goes so low, not sure what level though. I would suggest that if its for freshwater the likelihood of 3 stage at 30-50? TDS or 0-5 TDS from 4 stage making any difference is negligible unless there is a specific reason you need it that low. I think a lot of people, myself included, use it simply to make water softer so 3 stage would have done the job but i keep marine also. 4 stage does also give more leeway as TDS rises between filter changes if you keep sensitive creatures...high grade shrimp etc

Yeah, i would have thought 30-50ppm would be necessary for certain fish/plants anyway? 0-5 would be almost like distilled, and would need to be partially mixed with tap water to bring it back up again. I would be EI dosing, and I know this does cause the water TDS to shoot up anyways. Mind the 4 stage isnt much more price wise same time assume the waste from it will be far greater then a 3 stage. My rain water is 17ppm at the moment, and if I carbon filter it, i reckon that will drop to 10ppm or less. So this might be a better alternative.

Back