• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wabi-Kusa experiment

Hendre

Hi all.

I have been super keen on Wabi-Kusas lately and took the oportunity to make some while trimming my slowtech scape. I was unable to find a satisfactory guide on making clay media, so I wrapped sphagnum moss into a ball, coated it in whatever weedy moss I have in my tank and added some plants. Some like hygrophila already wilted somewhat but will hopefully bounce back. Here are some pictures of the moss balls:
IMG_8213.JPG
IMG_8212.JPG
IMG_8211.JPG
IMG_8235.JPG

Plants include:
Crypt wendtii green
Buce wavy green
Anubais barteri
Java fern
Hygrophila pinnitafida
Micro swords
Some stem, can't remember the name

I put the balls in 1cm of water in a closed aquarium under LED light to acclimate the plants to emersed growing. Quite excited for the results!

Look forward to seeing how this goes.
Any more updates?

I am hopefully going home this weekend to check on them! I remember the pinnitafida sulking almost immediately but we shall see how it recovered or if it died

Thanks!
It is looking a little iffy but it must be hard for larger plants to suddenly adapt to emersed growth. Edges a bit brown and so on. I will try and apply a little bit of fertiliser next time I am home :D

So far, I have never had luck with Java fern growing emersed. Please keep us posted, hopefully it will do well in your setup. Cheers. Tom
I have a tank that I sort of leave alone, tonnes of algae and whatever. But as the water level slowly dropped my long (20-30cm) java fern leaves were left in air, they look waxier and generally healthy, along with anubias that is the same. Its roots are still in water. The treasure for this would be some bolbitis!

Back