• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Waddington Airshow 2009

Lovely pics , the AN2 brings back fond memories of training students to parachute in Slovakia where in many locations this aircraft is still the workhorse , Most odd aircraft to fly in due to the pneutmatics system , sounds a bit like a steam engine.

aaronnorth said:
Anyone else go? Feel free to post your pictures here :)

3697855342_141f9c6d40.jpg

This is the radar on the Awax, weighs 5 tonne and only the white strip is the radar, the rest is aerodynamics! lol

This is called the Rotodome. I have been inside it once or twice. It is not permitted to operate the mission radar on the ground, but we could switch on the IFF and other systems (to complicated for a Sooty like myself to understand), and watch aircraft taking off from Coningsby. I remember being posted to Waddington, and sitting around waiting for the first AWACS to be delivered from Boeing in Wichita.

I have flown one of these babies on the flight simulator, getting it between the spires on Lincoln Cathedral. :lol:

I have a lot of happy memories working on these aircraft, and some that faded away with alcohol abuse. Happy days. :D Now I just work for the money.

Thanks for sharing Aaron.

Dave.

I remember when I saw most of these planes at Southend air show about a year ago, it was great.

Nice shots, thanks for sharing! ;)

Thanks everyone :)

George, yes they did bow to the crowd. I just love how they can fly perfectly level horizontally & vertically. I was watching a programme the other night on how one was being built, Went together quickly!
Everytime i go it always looks interesting & makes me want to join, but then i think of reality and i dont think i would have the guts. Respect to all you guys 8)

Dave, i didnt know how to spell Awacs ;) didnt bother looking on google either haha :oops:
I didnt realise you could go inside it :eek: Didnt bother asking either because it looks so slim.

Thanks Tom

AWACS - Airborne Warning And Control System. :D

I have flown in four of the aircraft types you have shown - The AWACS, Tristar, Hawk and Chinook.

Dave.

Back