My first foray in to the journal world... So, my plan is to treat myself to something a little nicer around Christmas/new year but in the meantime I was sick of looking at my overgrown and admittedly slightly neglected tank. I decided to completely (almost) strip it down, clean it up and reuse what was left over and with that I'd try this as a practice run journal before the new setup. Also it might help me get to that 25 post count instead of just reading everyone else's posts . I've had the tank nearly 6 years, it just some crappy 30" x 12" x 15" and it was originally a fish tank but over the past 2 years it became a planted tank with added fish. The current hardware setup is: Filter: APS 1400 EF2 Heater: Hydor 300W inline CO2: Co2 Art reg, inline diffuser, FE Lighting: Chihiros Vivid @ 50% RGB for 5 hours with 1 hour ramp each side Substrate: A lovely soup of Caribsea eco-complete and Tropica soil Ferts: 5ml Aquascaper Complete every other day Flora (or what I can remember): Monte Carlo S Repens Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' Microsorum Pteropus Mini 'Petit' Java Fern Bucephalandra Red Bucephalandra 'Wavy Green' Bolbitis heudelotii Cryptocoryne Lutea 'hobbit' Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii' Cryptocoryne x willisii Anubias Nana Anubias Nana 'Mini' Fauna: 10x Ember Tetra 3x Otocinclus 14x Amano Shrimp 1x Nerite Snail So here it was before I tore it down: As mentioned, I had pretty much neglected doing any major maintenance on the tank. It had a DIY LED I'd been playing with for 18 months or so but it gave up the ghost and I let the tank sit under some half arsed light for about 3 months before deciding to just do it properly and purchase the Chihiros. As soon as I put that on I couldn't ignore the plant soup I'd created. I needed to do something about it. I thought I should treat myself to a new tank but at the moment finance don't allow so I'll treat myself at Christmas, because money spent at Christmas doesn't count right? I did originally plan on just thinning it out, taking out all the plants that were covered in a mix of green spot and BBA but with the amount of Java Fern, Anubias, Bolbitis and Buce, everytime I pulled a bit it dislodged a bit of hardscape. Plus, the positioning of some plants, the large crypts at the front was, well just unacceptable. So, full blown everything out (minus the substrate and monte carlo - I couldn't face trying to get it back into the Caribsea) and the living room looked like a bomb site with plastic storage boxes, buckets, towels covering every surface and 3 sinks in the house rendered out of action unless it served my purpose. I managed to get it done over a couple of days, along with all the other errands I'd set myself up with over the 2 days off work. Just after the rescape: I'm not completely happy with the layout, but with timescales in place it is what it is. Plus I'm going to use it as a test to see how the plants grow under the Chihiros for the next 3/4 months whilst I decide what Santa will bring me. I need to remove that rock, weighing down the smaller branches which for some reason I decided to not keep in water whilst I rescaped. I'm also tempted to get rid of that branch stretching the middle creating more of a V. I also have a pot of marsilea crenata from a week ago that I might use to fill out those gaps in the foreground.