• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Walstad Native Journal

Hello!

I was cruising around the forum full-ghost mode and some of the functions are for members only. So I said why not and registered, might as well also share some info on my current only tank.

I am about to rescape a bigger build, which shall be the subject of a later thread, perhaps. For now, we have this small 25 liter tank, with a dirted substrate. Some time ago, it looked like this.

IMG_1385.jpg

Needless to say, it was not the prettiest of tanks. The fish you see there is a small betta I had removed from the 90 liter aquarium for fin-nipping, it went back there eventually and this was left utterly barren for the better part of a year. Then I said you know what, I'll give it some love. It's dirted, all we need is to plant it. So I went out and sought some plants out. And these are all the plants collected.

IMG_2002.JPG IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2014.JPG IMG_2012.JPG IMG_2008.jpg

I gave myself a few weeks of trial and error (which, to a certain level, continues to this day) to see which plants grew best, and if they were even aquatic. Most of them were. The first thing I added was some peace lilies. I was unsure as to how to plant them, at first. This was a decidedly... unintelligent idea. I can't remember what the purple plant's name was, it did not work. It's a really common houseplant though.

IMG_1395.jpg

Then came the next iteration: lilies in the sides, and we begin the actual planting process. Also, the filter was dumped. I left the pump with some filter media in a rock cranny, so that the bacteria could help the plants as they started processing ammonia, but gradually I wanted to remove it so that I did not have any nitrite problems. Monte Carlo, Echinodorus, some Alternantheras, and some sad Vals a guy sold me. They're bouncing back now, but he gave them to me in a bombed state. There's a Jacarandá pod, to make things interesting and grow some mulmy gunk for critters to feed on, and a dead shell (NO LIVE THINGS YET).

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 4.29.53 PM.png

The Monte Carlo did not pan out, and this is when I went out and did the first big plant collection.

IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2096 7.01.24 PM.JPG IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2098.JPG IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2101.JPG

This sort of gave the tank its first "decent" look, and I kept it like this for a few weeks. Also, I added at this point some Jenynsia Lineata schooling fish, more dead shells, a Quebracho log and some wild shrimp.

IMG_2126.jpg

Finally, I added more wood to the tank, and even more species of plants. I suppose the next few months we will see if there is significant allelopathy between any particular species, and watch how their competition unfolds. Last pic (more plants, more logs, less rocks, more shells) and a short video I did before adding the last batch of plants.

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg IMG_2144.JPG IMG_2145.JPG IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2148.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2150.JPG IMG_2142.JPG IMG_2143.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the read! Cheers.

Perhaps this might need clarifying: competition between the plants, of course. The fish and the shrimp get together beautifully.

Thank you, Tim, much appreciated. One last thought: I have "studied" the biological part of aquariums for the last ten years or so, but the scaping side of the hobby is entirely new to me. If anyone has more experience than me on this, I would love some feedback/suggestions. Aesthetically, I am an absolute noob.

I always recommend reading the journals on UKAPS were members go through different set ups and OC the tutorials,

I've spent an hour and change looking at the Bucket o' Mud and the Poco Pozo journals. This is insane... Some people are really on another league.

So, perhaps someone could point me out a couple solutions here. Everything is doing reasonably fine. The Lilaeopsis have grown nicely upwards, so they'll get a trim, the dying Vals I bought greened up already, and some of the small "mystery plants" have been sprouting interestingly as well. Problem: I decided to try 14 hour long photoperiod, vs the 11 I had before. It was a stretch, and algae started to flood the tank. I've thrown it down back again.

That said, there's a nutrient issue I can see coming. The Alternantheras are crumpling up a bit, and the Ludwigia Peploides is showing chlorosis on younger leaves. Should I wait for mulm to kick in as a nutrient source? Any other way to add them without actually throwing the isolated chemicals in?

My water is fairly hard, but because they add lime at the water treatment plant. Without that, the river they take it from is really soft.

IMG_2245.JPG
IMG_2244.jpg

My water is fairly hard, but because they add lime at the water treatment plant. Without that, the river they take it from is really soft.
Is it unfeasible to go to the river and collect it yourself, you could do 2 x 50% water changes with a 25l container?
Cheers!

It's not unfeasible, no. But if I add soft water, I still don't have the nutrients, don't I? Rather I should seek out something that would load my existing water with them.

Problem: I decided to try 14 hour long photoperiod, vs the 11 I had before. It was a stretch, and algae started to flood the tank. I've thrown it down back again.
14 hours seems very excessive to me. A lot of people who run high-tech tanks will only have the lights on for between 8-10 hours (I currently run @ 8 hours). Some people such as @dw1305 run longer durations of about 12 hours (correct me if I'm wrong on that Darrel). Generally though, the longer you run the lights, the more at risk you are of algae. Plants don't really need more than 8-10 hours. At a certain point, the excess light is just wasted on algae.
Ludwigia Peploides is showing chlorosis on younger leaves.
Deficiencies that occur on the younger leaves only (not the mature ones), indicates an immobile nutrient deficiency (the plant can't move them from it's old growth). For chlorosis, iron and manganese are the most often quoted for this, with the suspect usually being iron, especially in hard water. It seems some plants may have more difficulty than others in obtaining iron in hard water environments.

Yes, I've brought it back down to a 4:30 hrs - 4:00 siesta - 4:30 hrs. We'll see how they react to this. It was doing great, no algae, but not that much growth either. I got greedy.

As for the deficiencies, yes, I suspect iron. I think I'll buy some laterite, freeze some balls of it and stick them around the substrate. If it's manganese... I hope the laterite has some. The Ludwigia can be pulled if it continues to act up, it's the Alternanthera that worries me.

Hi all,
I must say, these little drab fishes are starting to really grow on me
I think they look really smart. <"Tabby fish">, it is the way forward.
Jenynsia Lineata
I had to <"look them up">
Some people such as @dw1305 run longer durations of about 12 hours (correct me if I'm wrong on that Darrel).
I do. It was just that the tropical day is 12 hours, so <"it seemed a good starting point">.

cheers Darrel

I have found Hisonotus Aki stock in a local fish store. I am currently ridiculously tempted.
It's a new one on me but from doing a little reading they seem to inhabit headwater streams, so might appreciate a little flow in the tank. Not sure whether or not you have a pump running.

Nice fish BTW 👍

Yeah, that is what's stopping me. I do have a pump running, but it does little more than move a bit of water around. Does not agitate the surface. I might stock my other tank with them. Still, I can't afford a shoal of them yet, so it's a mute point.

Found a new plant in a park a few hours back. It's hard to see it, until it grow a bit at least, but you can see a leaf or two here.

IMG_2280.JPG

Update: might be Potamogeton Gayi. In fact, I'm pretty certain. We've got quite the tangle down here, between all the Potamogeton sp. and their hybrids, plus the darned zannichellia palustris mucking everything else up. I've also moved the better-looking stem to the front to check growth better and from this decide whether collecting more is worth it. From this pic perhaps more experienced botanists might ID it further...

IMG_2282.JPG

That said, I removed the heater. Frankly, my problem is excess heat, our daily temps average out close to 90F in the summer, on a good day. I realized I'd unplugged it for maintenance and left it thus for two days, so out it came.

I'm currently seeing how I can further oxygenate the tank, as the fish tend to be a bit too much in the surface. They're not really "gasping", but still, I'd be more comfortable knowing O2 is ok.

Went out kayaking in the Delta, found some aquatic mosses. Pics in the river and in the aquarium.
IMG_2388.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2426.JPG

Unlike most mosses, these grew exclusively underwater. I'm fairly confident they'll do well.

I have no idea. I did find a forum entry in APC from a guy that collected some as well, back in 2011. I'll snoop around his profile to see if I can glean some more information.

Back