• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Want some crabs as pets but not sure what species and where to buy them around London

Joyce

Seedling
Hi everyone,

I have searched some species of crabs like vampire crabs, rainbow crabs and Thai micro crabs. Which one is easier to take care of and where can I buy them around london?

Thank you.

Looking at your post code, you might try Sweetknowle Aquatics. Have a look at the website. Key with crabs is to have a tight lid as they have a habit of trying to climb out.

Easiest by far to care for are the Thai micro crabs. They simply scavenge of bio film, and moss and left over food. You don't see them much, but when you do its a joy. Remember they grow no bigger then a 5pence piece..

Kesgrave tropicals usually has them online.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Easiest by far to care for are the Thai micro crabs. They simply scavenge of bio film, and moss and left over food. You don't see them much, but when you do its a joy. Remember they grow no bigger then a 5pence piece..

Kesgrave tropicals usually has them online.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Thank you so much!! I just looked them up and found that their online ebay hasn't got anything listed at the moment, possibly because of the pandemic?

with Rainbow crabs, the key is not to have plural. Just a single.
Mine lived for 11 years!!! No heater, no filter. 80cm tank split by a wall, one half was land mass (sand and small pebbles mixed) and the other side water. I just used water that was coming out of a fish tank.
Dont bother with any plants, real or plastic.
Very entertaining creature, and became rather large also. Plus 1 on the escaping... they can scale virtually anything, and if they can stretch yo get the tip of their foot onto something, they will be able to (eventually) clamber up it. They seem to spend a bit of time thinking about how they can get out to explore.

I'd say 80cm is about adequate, but if you can go bigger then do so.

Easy to look after. Change the water every now and then. They live on the land. Occasionally, you'll want to give the land area a good deep rinse too.

Just remember that some crabs will require a closed hood as they will try and escape the tank, gotta make sure every little of space is sealed, I kept them in the past on a Juwel Rio 125, and they escaped by the back where the cables come into to the hood, and found them running around the living room! :rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

Just remember that some crabs will require a closed hood as they will try and escape the tank, gotta make sure every little of space is sealed, I kept them in the past on a Juwel Rio 125, and they escaped by the back where the cables come into to the hood, and found them running around the living room! :rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

I guess they need to get back into the water after a short time... Most animals depending on living in water have a very good nose to find it. Just a guess and a thought on escaping Crabs, but would be such a turtle dish as bellow be a solution for that. Place it under the cabinet. Or maybe several of them on the floor around the house. Make little decorative wabikusa's maybe? :p Would give a better natural smell to find it than simply clean water... Then you might find escapies back.

618qsqb%2BIfL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Or it's CRACK!! I found one!!... :lol:

Back