• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Washed out Serpae Tetra

Jaseon

It started with one then another. Tried searching online for possible causes, but no joy. They belong to my father in law, and i scooped them out into a hospital tank incase its contagious, and hopefully treat. Water parameters are fine. Under floor heating, and warmer days his temps are pushing the top end of 80 so thats the only thing that's been different over the last few weeks.

You can see the difference in colour,

-5809983878742522200_121.jpg
-5809983878742522201_121.jpg

If a fish suddenly loses its color it is generally from stress, but you'll have to do some more detective work to figure out the root cause.

How long has he had these fish? Are they recent additions? Can you describe their setup more? How many does he have and how many are affected? When you say the top end of 80 do you mean almost 81 or almost 90? Are there any other symptoms, physical or behavioral?

If a fish suddenly loses its color it is generally from stress, but you'll have to do some more detective work to figure out the root cause.

How long has he had these fish? Are they recent additions? Can you describe their setup more? How many does he have and how many are affected? When you say the top end of 80 do you mean almost 81 or almost 90? Are there any other symptoms, physical or behavioral?
Hes had these fish for over 6 months or more. Tank is a 120ltr moderately planted. Got a mix of tetras, rasboras, gourami, yo-yo loaches amanos. We did add two mollies from another tank, and the female was a bit boisterous. The other fish are fine, and eating well.

The two fish affected have since died. Both were not able to swim properly, and turning on their side.

As for the temps i have advised him to over time incrementally turn the heaters down. With his under floor heating, the warmer days plus the heater, and lights his temps were 83 today.

Im not pointing to the temps being an issue as i was trying to rule things out. The female molly is the only other thing i can think of.

It started with one then another. Tried searching online for possible causes, but no joy. They belong to my father in law, and i scooped them out into a hospital tank incase its contagious, and hopefully treat. Water parameters are fine. Under floor heating, and warmer days his temps are pushing the top end of 80 so thats the only thing that's been different over the last few weeks.

You can see the difference in colour,

View attachment 189272View attachment 189273
I’ve seen this a bit in tank bred tetras, unfortunately I’m not really sure what it is. Probably some sort of bacterial infection.

The fish starts to develop these black patches, ends up isolating itself and eventually dies. Thankfully it didn’t seem to be too contagious. I had it with lemon and Colombian tetras in the past.

Cheers

Back