• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Washing Sand

BarryH

Always used gravel in the past and now trying sand. I bought a bag of Unipac Maui medium and on the bag it says to wash the sand in cold water before using.

All the videos I've watched show people putting sand in their aquariums in a dry condition. Do I need to let the sand dry after washing it? Just wondering about getting wet sand on rockery as I'm setting up. Being a photographer, I know what a sod it is to get sand off of tripod legs after coastal photography.

Hi all,
Unipac Maui medium and on the bag it says to wash the sand in cold water before using
It isn't a substrate I've used, but I wouldn't worry too much about washing it.

It looks to be quite coarse ("fine grade" says 1 - 2 mm), so I don't think you will have any problems with it sticking to things, even when it is damp.

cheers Darrel

I’ve used it both washed and unwashed. You don’t need to wash it, but it is very dusty. If you don’t wash it, you’ll wish you had for a long time after! :)
Same here, I'd definitely give it a thorough wash first. It's perhaps a bit easier to handle dried but it shouldn't make much difference either way. Once you start to flood the scape any wayward sand can be wafted away.

I assume this is for the whole tank (not just a foreground cosmetic layer). If so, make sure you put a nice plant growth substrate layer underneath. Tropica’s is the nicest imo.

Just leave a cm or 2 gap at the front and sides so you don’t see the join. :thumbup:

Just wondering about getting wet sand on rockery as I'm setting up. Being a photographer, I know what a sod it is to get sand off of tripod legs after coastal photography.
Wet sand will stick to rocks, wood etc, but when you fill the tank it will drop off, except fr ay horizontal surfaces. There you can remove it with a bit of current, eg from a turkey baster, as it will just be sitting there, no longer stuck when submerged.
Similarly, if you dip your tripod legs in a bucket of water the stuck sand will drop off. Swirl them around a bit if they have nooks and crannies, but mine are smooth. It will also remove any salt. Then you can dry them or leave them to dry naturally.

The easiest way to wash it is putting the sand in a pillow case and spray it with a tube.

I washed the sand I need, got it as clean as I could, then put it in a pillow case and I was quite surprised how much water came out as I let the case sort of drip dry.

It's funny that this has just come up, the first time I used sand I washed it but this time I did not I forgot to and I probably won't take it all out now.

Back