• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Waste water from RO through HMA filter

biffster

is it possible to run the waste water from an RO unit through a HMA unit to use it as part
of the tanks daily water changes

Interesting question, ive been thinking the same thing, and although I dont know the answer I suspect it can be done but I think the filters wouldnt last very long due to the extra amount of minerals, contaminants etc

What is the point to use ro filter then?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

the reason being to cut down on waste water from the ro unit an ro unit produces
four gallons of waste water for every gallon of safe water to use in the tank so cutting down
or even removing the waste water from the equation altogether

the reason being to cut down on waste water from the ro unit an ro unit produces
four gallons of waste water for every gallon of safe water to use in the tank so cutting down

Are you using a pump on your RO unit?

When my mate produced RO for his marine setup, he piped the waste water (4mm pipe) out into the garden watering tubs of plants and flower beds. Had issues in the winter with outlet pipes freezing, but it felt better than just pouring the waste down the drain.

When my mate produced RO for his marine setup, he piped the waste water (4mm pipe) out into the garden watering tubs of plants and flower beds. Had issues in the winter with outlet pipes freezing, but it felt better than just pouring the waste down the drain.

If you don't like pouring water down the sink don't use RO or buy a RO plant that produces less waste.

Once you've made the RO water, the waste is inevitable, so it makes no difference where you pour it. You pay for it removing anyway, why feel guilty

nether i am trying to find out if you can put RO waste through HMA so that there is no waste water no there will be no pump

Generally a RO unit will produce 1:4 RO to waste if running at 8bar, which is why you use a pump. Average mains water pressure in UK is generally 3.5bar, so if you are using without a booster pump will be in the order of 1:10, even as far as 1:25 reported on these forums.

normally 1 gallon of product water for four gallons of waste water i know that i want to know if you can put the RO waste water though a HMA filter that is what i am trying to find out i know all the other stuff

No you probably cant put a HMA filter or any other filter on the waste output of a RO unit, as any flow restriction will prevent the RO unit from working. RO units generally assume no flow restrictions on waste output.

If your determined you could tank up the waste water then pump it through the HMA and store it again. Then use that in the next water change.

I guess you're thinking of running it through the RO filter again during the filter change?

the HMA filter does not restrict the waste flow from the RO as HMA will operate under gravity feed

no i just want to know if you can run RO waste water through HMA and use it to add to the RO water to remineralize it to use in the tank
so there is no waste water at all

A HMA filter will run on gravity that is not what my question is my question is "CAN YOU PUT RO WASTE WATER THROUGH A HMA FILTER " i am not bothered about
anything else this is all i want to know as all the other thing can be over come

Yes you probably can run HMA after RO waste, but if mixing RO and filtered afterwards you are really wasting the functionality of the RO unit. Just HMA the water will achieve the same level of purification.

Think about it in your setup the only thing that removes anything from the water is the HMA filter, the ROs achieves nothing as you are not discarding the waste.

Reactions: tim
right yes RO units strip water of minerals so yes they do do something right what i was getting at was
using the waste from the RO unit and putting through the HMA units to get safe normal water to remineralize
the RO water i have just taken from the RO unit that would mean that there would be no waste at all as the HMA unit
would trap all the nasty's and leave me with just pure water to mix with the RO water now do you get what i am saying

Back