• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water change in the new tank

UseHerName

Hi all,
Question - so the tank is now standing for 6 days. Water seems very clear after a daily 50% water change and filter cleaning (photo below). There is a small amount of biofilm on the wood (I’m not too worried about that) and the plants seems to be doing well. Do I still need to continue with the daily water change or can I space it out now? Also, I’m fertilising the plants with a liquid compound, wouldn’t frequent water change affect this? I.e plants getting less than what they need because I’m changing the water?
B46130B1-38B7-4240-8BB7-D9CA087218D7.jpeg

Thank you in advance,
Hadar

Is the filter cycled prior to these 6 days, are you intending to include livestock at a later date? Why are you cleaning the filter? I find algae is minimised in a new start by continuing with large water changes, every 2 days in week 2, every 3 days in week 3, every 4 days in week 4y, normal weekly for week 5 onwards. Change the water then feed before lights on (or after).

Is the filter cycled prior to these 6 days, are you intending to include livestock at a later date? Why are you cleaning the filter? I find algae is minimised in a new start by continuing with large water changes, every 2 days in week 2, every 3 days in week 3, every 4 days in week 4y, normal weekly for week 5 onwards. Change the water then feed before lights on (or after).
Thank you for that.
No, the filter was not in cycle prior to that. I am cleaning it because the aqua-soil made it completely black and I thought it needs rinsing. Now all the 'dust' settled and the water is clear I will stop cleaning it. It's a temporary filter anyway, the better one is with the fish in the other tank.
And yes - there will be livestock later on. The fish and shrimp from the previous tank will move to their new home and I suspect, since i'll transfer the existing plants, that some crustaceans will find their way to the new tank too🙄

Back