• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

water change routine (again)!

hi all,
My low tech bowl is coming along well and most of the plants are growing well apart from the foreground 'monte carlo'. There is some pale coloured 'stuff' on the wood and attached 'buce', which I believe is normal and will clear up. I would welcome anyone's opinion on what it might be and if I am right!

I am a little concerned with the build up of surface film, is there anything I can do control it (without introducing a skimmer or filter)?

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_101847.jpg
    IMG_20230205_101847.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230205_101847.jpg
    IMG_20230205_101847.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20230207_084551.jpg
    IMG_20230207_084551.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
I am a little concerned with the build up of surface film, is there anything I can do control it (without introducing a skimmer or filter)?
You can put a paper towel flat over the surface - let it sit for 2 seconds and gently remove it by the corners - this worked for me in the past when not having a surface skimmer and just had to remove a bit of oily surface film, like what appears to be the case in your bowl. If it's a continuous buildup you might have to deploy a surface skimmer for a while.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Air stone running for an hour or two once a day removed all my surface film.

Back