• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water change setup on larger tanks?

andy198712

Hi All,

So I’ve just moved house and want to get a good setup going to change the water on my 200 litre tank.

It’s in the living room and the nearest water source is the toilet down stairs and sink which is about 5/6 meters away.

Ideal I would drain it into the toilet and fill from the sink tap?

I brought some 1inch ish white PVC pipe and some angles to hang over the tank as I worry the hose will slip out when doing it alone and cover the floor with water. That should work okay, might add a small valve to this.

I’ve seen those tap hose adapters that clamp onto the tap, are these any good?
I have a pump I’ve used before but it’s a bit of a pain, I’d need to run an ext lead ect.

Just wonder what you all do as a nice clean, safe setup?!

Here’s the plan I had
63B75D0B-3CE4-412D-B054-E87F07913041.jpeg

Is your laundry room plumbed in? If so,can you not run plumbing to there instead as it should be easy enough to tap into the water/waste as I've had too many of those tap attachements pop off!

I might be an outlier here, but I only setup tanks where I can automate the water changes. From your layout, I would run fresh water and waste water pipes from the kitchen sink, behind the voids in the kitchen cabinets, and through the wall to the tank. If you could place the tank in the opposite corner, it would make it dead easy to implement - where it is you'd need a few bends.

You could then full automate, or semi-automate the water changes.

I might be an outlier here, but I only setup tanks where I can automate the water changes. From your layout, I would run fresh water and waste water pipes from the kitchen sink, behind the voids in the kitchen cabinets, and through the wall to the tank. If you could place the tank in the opposite corner, it would make it dead easy to implement - where it is you'd need a few bends.

You could then full automate, or semi-automate the water changes.
Very true that would be the dream and make it very nice (this never occurred to me tbh) but that wall is a solid structural wall and it’s a new house and kitchen and I’m a little unwilling to do that.
But that would be a great ideal!

Is your laundry room plumbed in? If so,can you not run plumbing to there instead as it should be easy enough to tap into the water/waste as I've had too many of those tap attachements pop off!
It is yeah, that’s a pretty good as the waste is there too. I guess a could get a splitter so one feed can go to the washing machine and the other to a hose.

Only slight issue is it will limit me to cold water only.

I have just seen this item which threads into the tap and then attaches to that.

Gardena Tap Connector for Indoor Taps: Connection for Indoor Taps, Including Adapter for Aerator Head, Spanner for Easy Fitting, for Kitchen and Bathroom (18210-20) Amazon product ASIN B07YSSVYH4

The reviews look very good (of that item) and to would allow me to use the mixer tap. Which I like the idea of.

I’m just about to make up a plastic tube U bend to hang in the tank for draining and filling and attach that to the hose pipe (where ever it goes)

I think I’ll try the Gardena adapter at first as it’s fairly cheap to try. See how I get on then if that isn’t easy I’ll look into the ultility room

I am in a very similar situation to you. I simply run a 9m hose from the tank to the utility room sink. I use a small pump in the sink to fill the tank and the same pump in the tank to drain water. Not perfect but works no problem. I use a set of soft spring clamps to hold the hose or fittings in place.

Very true that would be the dream and make it very nice (this never occurred to me tbh) but that wall is a solid structural wall and it’s a new house and kitchen and I’m a little unwilling to do that.
But that would be a great ideal!

If you are willing to pump the waste tank water rather use gravity to carry it to the sink, it's even easier, you'd only need 15mm flexible plumbing piping, and you can run it under the cupboards by taking the plinths off (that's what I did in our house). It's all push fit fittings so really easy and fool-proof to DIY and you could just bend it round in the corner.

Then you'd only need a couple of 15mm holes above the skirting at your tank. Really easy to implement, and easy to patch up afterwards if you ever remove it as you'd only need to fill two small holes.

Just an idea . . .

I am in a very similar situation to you. I simply run a 9m hose from the tank to the utility room sink. I use a small pump in the sink to fill the tank and the same pump in the tank to drain water. Not perfect but works no problem. I use a set of soft spring clamps to hold the hose or fittings in place.
nice! see I don't have a sink in the utility room, only in the toilet. those soft spring clamps might be what I need!

defiantly something to ponder on for me
If you are willing to pump the waste tank water rather use gravity to carry it to the sink, it's even easier, you'd only need 15mm flexible plumbing piping, and you can run it under the cupboards by taking the plinths off (that's what I did in our house). It's all push fit fittings so really easy and fool-proof to DIY and you could just bend it round in the corner.

Then you'd only need a couple of 15mm holes above the skirting at your tank. Really easy to implement, and easy to patch up afterwards if you ever remove it as you'd only need to fill two small holes.

Just an idea . . .
and convince the mrs over lol

I’ve seen those tap hose adapters that clamp onto the tap, are these any good?
I've tried a few of those, but never found a good one that doesn't leak.
Most modern taps have the end of the spout removable; you unscrew it and reveal a screw thread. Then you can use a screw-on hose adaptor.
Like this;
Tap adaptor

I've tried a few of those, but never found a good one that doesn't leak.
Most modern taps have the end of the spout removable; you unscrew it and reveal a screw thread. Then you can use a screw-on hose adaptor.
Like this;
Tap adaptor

This is exactly what I use to fill my tank direct from a mixer tap in the downstairs loo and outflow goes via gravity down the toilet. Still takes a good bit of time due to tank size but it’s as easy as rolling out the pipe.

I use a drain hose hook to keep the pipe in the tank’ seems a bit easier than making a solid u bend affair, if ur going for a non-plumbed solution, and it makes it real easy to roll ur pipe back up and tuck it away.

I use a drain hose hook to keep the pipe in the tank’ seems a bit easier than making a solid u bend affair, if ur going for a non-plumbed solution, and it makes it real easy to roll ur pipe back up and tuck it away.
For me, the 12/16mm JBL outlet perfectly fits standard garden hose, is telescopic, and has the strainer to stop fish/shrimp being sucked up and serves as a diffuser when refilling.
Cheers!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4989.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4989.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 111
Have you thought about a python. I do a 50% water change once a week on 252 litres and it is relatively painless. Python Products Inc. Quite expensive for what it is but I have found it to be quick and easy. It also attaches to the tap via a screw on adapter.

For me, the 12/16mm JBL outlet perfectly fits standard garden hose, is telescopic, and has the strainer to stop fish/shrimp being sucked up and serves as a diffuser when refilling.
Cheers!

That’s neat!👍

I have a piece of net on the end of my hose, held on with an elastic band. I guess you could call it the low-tech version. 😂

This is what I used last night and it was the quickest water change I’ve ever done! Just poked it down the toilet after starting a sython then refilled after connecting it to the tap. Although now I don’t know how I’ll start the sython again as it’s touched the toilet and don’t want that near my mouth again lol

Attachments

• 9D255938-405B-41FC-B86C-F1980812CC70.jpeg
    9D255938-405B-41FC-B86C-F1980812CC70.jpeg
    885.6 KB · Views: 112
  • CD92D2E5-84E8-4B70-9AD5-57125E599E46.jpeg
    CD92D2E5-84E8-4B70-9AD5-57125E599E46.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
I only setup tanks where I can automate the water changes. From your layout, I would run fresh water and waste water pipes from the kitchen sink, behind the voids in the kitchen cabinets, and through the wall to the tank. If you could place the tank in the opposite corner, it would make it dead easy to implement - where it is you'd need a few bends.
Agree 100%
Go though the wall, beneath the cabinets, and hook up under the sink for in and outflow. Move the aquarium.

Back