Water changes and shrimp?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by BarryH, 15 Feb 2020.

1. BarryH

BarryH Member

With all my tanks I do a 50% water change on a weekly basis. On Monday, all being well, I'll be adding 10 or so Fire Red shrimp to the tank with Harlequin Rasboras.

Having read that shrimp don't like big changes in water conditions, would I be better doing 2 x 25% water changes on the tank they're going in or is it OK to still do one 50% weekly change as normal.

New to the shrimp and would like to look after them as well as I can.

2. Tankless

Tankless Member

I tend to do 2 x 25% changes because it's easier to manage. Once the shrimp are acclimatised to your tank conditions then there is no issue with the bigger watch change.

BarryH likes this.
  3. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

4. Fisher2007

Fisher2007 Member

I do at least 50% once a week and often it's more like 60-70% and my shrimp are fine. I have approx 40 amano's and started off 3-4 months ago with about 30 cherry shrimp as well, which have bred like crazy already and I'd guess there's probably getting on for 100 in there now. So all things considered I wouldn't worry

BarryH likes this.
  5. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the help. Pleased to hear your shrimp colony is growing, only looked at them as a clean up crew but the more videos I watch on YouTube the more I like the idea of looking after shrimp and having them in my tanks.